The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Quick Easy HEALTHY Meals (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/quick-easy-healthy-meals-49922/)

Lucara 03-12-2010 12:17 PM

Quick Easy HEALTHY Meals

So, I thought it might be fun and education to have people post some quick easy and healthy meals. I'm trying to focus on eating right but I have to admit, most healthy foods taste HORRIBLE! Being a sugar addict isn't any help either!
While i also have a packed schedule, I don't have time to cook for 2 hours to make a meal. SO...

I thought it would be nice if people could post meals that are HEALTHY and take under 30minutes to make. I think this could be beneficial for those wanting to loose weight or just wanting to eat healthier in general.

If you have a recipe that's great! If you have a picture of what its supposed to look like (haha I usually need those to make sure I made it right!), that's even better!!

Here is one that I found that I'm really excited to try.

Tuna Salad Surprise
WHFoods: Tuna Salad Surprise

MN Tigerstripes 03-12-2010 12:31 PM

Here's an easy chicken recipe I do pretty often. Tests good with porkchops too. I don't have "measurements" unfortunately a lot of my cooking is done by look and test.

4 chicken breasts
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
dried thyme
white wine (cooking or the good stuff)

Heat some olive oil in a skillet about medium high heat. While heating season the chicken breasts with the garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. When oil is heated enough to spatter when a drop of water is added add the chicken breasts. Brown breasts on both sides (I think like 2-3 mins on each side). Add a good splash of wine and cover. Reduce heats and let simmer until done, about 7-10 mins (?). I usually flip once about halfway through.

Not sure if this is what you meant but it tastes good, is quick, and pretty healthy. I usually serve with a salad, asapargus or my sauteed zuchinni, and maybe some rice.

Delfina 03-12-2010 05:24 PM

My favorite breakfast on busy summer mornings

Fruit Smoothies

About 3/4 cup apple juice (add more if needed)
1/3 package of firm tofu
Roughly 1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries are good, frozen cherries are beyond yummy)

Dump in blender and run until completely smooth (it's VERY thick so you may need to stop the blender and stir it a few times).

I pour the whole thing into a Rubbermaid straw bottle so I can haul it out to the barn with me if I'm in a hurry but nothing (like dust, hay, horse slobber, etc....) gets into it. Oh and no, you cannot taste the tofu whatsoever, my kids steal and inhale mine all the time (no clue I put tofu in it).

Jore

Indyhorse 03-12-2010 05:42 PM

If you are just fixing for yourself, and are in a big hurry, this is healthy and super fast (like, 3 minutes max fast) ~

1 packet microwave 90 second Uncle Ben - garden vegetable
1 can of tuna, drained
2 tablespoons (or more, less, whatever, depends on your taste for spicy things, I like very spicy) Louisiana Hot Sauce

Cook the rice in the microwave as per directions, dump it on a bowl, add drained tuna fish, you can put it back in the microwave for another 15 seconds to warm the tuna through or just stir it up and let the rice heat it, add the hot sauce and mix well.

There you go! 3 minute Jambalaya!
Generally makes enough for 2 people, or just 1 if you are very hungry *lol*