The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help with hooves please. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-hooves-please-49932/)

ilovelucy 03-12-2010 05:18 PM

Help with hooves please.

10 Attachment(s)
I know probably next to nothing about hoof care, I am attempting to rectify that by reading everything I can on hoof care. I am having difficulty in applying it to my horses hooves though, so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have asked my instructor and BO plus all of my horse involved friends on their opinion on her hooves, and other then the obvious missing hoof wall from where she ripped her shoe off and the lines in her hoof wall they said they saw nothing wrong. I disagree...am I wrong? I couldn't pin-point anything ( like I said I know nothing and when I tried to ask I was told her hooves are fine) but when I saw the pictures I saw some things I was not able to see earlier and I am not happy about them.

Sooooo I hope someone can help me out.

I also managad to mix up the order of the hooves so I am not really sure which ones are which...if this makes it impossible or difficult to critique I will go take more.

kevinshorses 03-12-2010 05:56 PM

How long have the shoes been on? It looks like your horseshoer is inexperienced or kind of sloppy. The nails are set pretty high and the third picture looks like the shoe is crooked. Some of the nails were either poorly crimped or not driven in all the way and are causing the foot to be out of balance.

ilovelucy 03-12-2010 06:17 PM

One day :/ ....The farrier had been doing her shoes since before I got her and came highly recommended by my instructor and BO, but the more I read about shoeing etc. the less her hooves looked ideal. I just couldn't tell you why, which is why I am asking for opinions. Thanks.

CharliGirl 03-12-2010 06:24 PM

My horses have never been shod, so I can't help you with the shoeing question.

As for hoof growth, you can try putting her on a Source Original or a hoof specific supplement. It will help her hoof wall to grow back sooner and stronger. You'll be amazed at the impact a bucket of supplement can have!

Indyhorse 03-12-2010 06:27 PM

I agree, those nails are out so much at the bottom it does look like she's walking on the nails rather than the shoe.

She also looks like her heels are a bit long/under run. And very contracted.

I'm no expert by any means, I'm still learning myself so count me as only a crackerjack box opinion. :) You should definitely listen to Kevin on this.

kassierae 03-12-2010 07:50 PM

I see very underslung heels and a not so good shoe job.

Jugornot 03-12-2010 08:07 PM

Cutting back on the carbs will help out on those horizontal lines.

jazzyrider 03-12-2010 08:20 PM

man those nails are set high. i agree with everything else that has been mentioned. your farrier appears to not really know what he is doing. i would seek out another farrier. if there are no others in your area i would suggest expressing your concerns to your farrier. take what you have learnt on here and express it with confidence so he cant shut you down.

also, is there any specific reason your horse is shod? personally i would recommend a good barefoot farrier as long as there is no real reason why he/she is shod. a good barefoot farrier will be able to correct the heel issues and slowly start strengthening your horses feet. the whole angle that the feet are cut on just looks wrong to me. i would definitely find a new farrier.

kevinshorses 03-12-2010 11:37 PM

Anybody that can buy a set of tools and a foge can call themselves a farrier. The only difference between a barefoot trimmer and a farrier is it takes less tools to call yourself a barefoot trimmer and you don't have to learn how to pound nails. As hard as it is to find a good farrier it is far more difficult to find a qualified barefoot trimmer. There is also much more to going barefoot than just not putting shoes on. You need to change the diet and the housing just to start. Shoes won't hurt your horse but they need to be put on correctly and those are not.

jazzyrider 03-12-2010 11:52 PM

thanks for that but i know a fair whack about barefoot and resent the insinuation that i dont if indeed that is what you were meaning. i have had my horses barefoot for a long time and have found a fantastic barefoot farrier that has fixed many problems and fixed them well. i would have to disagree that the only difference between a barefoot farrier and a normal farrier is not pounding nails ??? a good barefoot farrier is worth their weight in gold and IME no normal farrier can do a proper barefoot job.

having barefoot horses myself, with excellent feet i might add, i would also have to disagree with the notion that diet and housing must be changed. any horse whether shod or not should be getting a nutritious diet that covers all its dietary needs. IF this is happening, things like coat, mane, tail and feet should be in optimum health. same as housing. all horses should have access to a dry, flat area etc whether barefoot or not. aside from a horse needing proper nutrition for great feet and having suitable housing i cant see any other reason why switching to barefoot is a big drama. in most instances, the horses benefit from a good barefoot job within a short amount of time. i have a tb who was so typically tb when i got her with flat feet and weak walls from years of shoeing. after 6 months of regular barefoot trims her feet had gained concavity and were strenghtening well. 3 years later her feet are a picture of health. combined with a good diet and good housing (which every horse should already have) her feet are thriving.