The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   If I give my horse her shots myself how would I get documentation for that? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/if-i-give-my-horse-her-50014/)

Brianna6432 03-13-2010 05:01 PM

If I give my horse her shots myself how would I get documentation for that?

I would like to give my horse her shots myself ( with the help of my mom who's a nurse, and my aunt who's a horse expert ) but I need papers that prove she had her shots. It's a requirement for the horse camp I'm going to... So... how am I supposed to get those papers?

QHDragon 03-13-2010 05:14 PM

I believe the only way to get verification is to have a vet do it.

Crimsonhorse01 03-13-2010 05:17 PM

Usually you write the date down and put the sticker from the bottle under it in your record book. Thats what the vets do and what a majority of ppl do.

It also never hurts to call the camp and tell them you do and see how you can show proof. :)

sandy2u1 03-13-2010 06:48 PM

I think some things have to be done by a vet, like rabies and coggins test. IDK what all your camp requires but those will probably have to be included. It cost $84 dollars when I had the vet out to give Major his vacc. and coggins. That included rabies, west nile, coggins, checking his teeth and the farm visit. I did save a few bucks because I had already given the tetanus, but not much. Oh yeah, and I will have to have her back in the spring because I didn't get the strangles vaccine. Horse camp sound like a lot of fun! Hope you have a great time! Be sure and tell us about it when you get back.

myhorseisnot4you 03-13-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHDragon (Post 576070)
I believe the only way to get verification is to have a vet do it.

Yes, i think it requires a vet. :-|

kitten_Val 03-14-2010 12:33 AM

Only vet. I have same issue so have to use vet to do shots so I could have papers from him.

SmoothTrails 03-14-2010 12:35 AM

Pretty sure you can only do it through your vet. In my area the same goes for dog's shots. There are parvo vacc and stuff at the co-op, but the only way the dogs can board anywhere is if they have the shot administered by the vet.

White Foot 03-14-2010 07:59 AM

I do most of the shots myself. Most of the shots I have to buy though the vet, they send me documentation saying they sold it to me. The other non-serious ones I just print out a paper saying that I gave this shot to Gunther on this date. No one ever questions me.