The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Worst auction ever. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/worst-auction-ever-50075/)

iridehorses 03-14-2010 05:21 PM

Worst auction ever.

Last night was the monthly auction at Eastonallee, GA. The weather was pretty nice and my wife and I got there just a little late (tack starts at 5:00). We planned to meet up with kevin of SoutherntrailsGA and his wife, which we did. There was barely any parking so we expected the horses to bring some money for a change - wrong!

We walked around the back where the horses are stalled waiting for their turn in the ring. There was a decent selection but hardly the number of horses I expected. We watched a number of horses being ridden and I spotted a Cremello mare in one of the stalls. She was a pretty little thing with a nice personality, a long mane and tail, and a babydoll face. There was a 10 year old sitting on her and riding her calmly around the stall (~15x30) on a halter. She had a weaned filly in the stall with her and I was told that she was 4 years old and they wanted $300 for her.

We watched a number of horses go through the ring and a nice little registered QH mare that we saw riding outside, comes into the ring. Nice calm horse, I know the seller so I know the horse is not juiced, and the bidding get to $425. SOLD!

After that we saw some yearlings sell between $10 and $35 with a registered Arab filly go for $65. Unbelievable. Anyway, I keep thinking about the little Cremello mare and said to my wife that if I can get her for $200, I might buy her.

Well, after not too long, it's her turn in the ring. I didn't buy her - not because of the bidding but because I really couldn't justify another horse right now. OH, she sold for $50.00....... $50.00!!!! Unbelievable.

SouthernTrails 03-14-2010 05:51 PM

Mrs. Trails and I had a good time at the Auction, It was my 4th visit.

Iridehorses and his better half are great people.:D

It was amazing how inexpensive the Horses were going for, our Meal cost more than what some of the Horses sold for. They sure have good burgers and fries there :-):-)

If we only had a little more land :-(, we could have started a herd for under 100.00.

smrobs 03-14-2010 06:06 PM

That's terrible. It just breaks my heart to hear or see things like that. :(

kevinshorses 03-14-2010 06:11 PM

All it would take is a few slaughterhouses in this country to turn things around.

smrobs 03-14-2010 06:51 PM

Have to agree with you there. A least then, the kill horses wouldn't be hauled for 2 or 3 days to Mexico where there is no regulations on how they are killed.

reining girl 03-14-2010 07:18 PM

i agree kevin and smrobs. you should of bought that mare iride!

iridehorses 03-14-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reining girl (Post 576875)
i agree kevin and smrobs. you should of bought that mare iride!

I agree too. About the mare ... that is going to bother me for a long while!

smrobs 03-14-2010 07:52 PM

Well, she didn't go to the kill buyer did she? If not, then you have nothing to regret. She may have been one of the lucky ones and ended up in a loving family with a kid that will learn to ride on her.

Honeysuga 03-14-2010 07:53 PM

*jumps on the bandwagon* Too right Kevin.

iridehorses 03-14-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 576903)
Well, she didn't go to the kill buyer did she? If not, then you have nothing to regret.

I have no idea, Jen. I didn't see who won her but you can't buy them all in any case. It would be nice to think that she went to a good home although I just can't get over the selling price. The prices were actually the worst I've seen and I expected them to be much better considering the amount of people there and the start of the season here.