The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Switching Disciplines. Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/switching-disciplines-help-50089/)

applecore5 03-14-2010 07:56 PM

Switching Disciplines. Help!

I have been riding english for 22 years. I have decided to start western with my horse. I was wondering what your opinions are on good western tack. I am looking for quality, comfort, and a good price. What are some good brands for saddles and bridles? Thanks!!!

smrobs 03-14-2010 08:40 PM

I have a Simco saddle that I really like. It is very well made and pretty comfortable. As for bridles and reins and such, Reinsman has always had good quality stuff and basically anything made of Herman Oak Harness Leather is going to have good quality.

I am fixing to get a custom saddle by Corriente. They have really good tack at incredibly good prices.
www.corrientesaddleco.com

kchfuller 03-14-2010 08:42 PM

I have a Victor saddle and LOVE it!
Posted via Mobile Device

HooverH 03-15-2010 04:25 PM

I absolutely love my Longhorn Barrel, I got it used from a tack store in PA. The ranch swears by Weaver, and all my tack beyond the saddle is Weaver Leather.

nrhareiner 03-15-2010 04:40 PM

It depends on what you want to do and at what level. If you are looking at trail riding or local stuff then there are a lot of nice lower priced saddles and tack. I have always been of the belief that you do not skimp on these things. If you have to buy used to afford a good saddle and bridle then go that way. Cheap in the long run will cost you more in many ways.

trailhorserider 03-16-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 576949)

I am fixing to get a custom saddle by Corriente. They have really good tack at incredibly good prices.
www.corrientesaddleco.com

I have heard A LOT of good things about Corriente. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard anything but good things about them! Please let us know how you like the Corriente when you get it!

SorrelHorse 03-17-2010 11:32 AM

I love the Circle Y myself, but I also have a Craig Cameron saddle and I absolutely adore it. It's the Craig Cameron Cow Horse Saddle. It's not the cheapest one aorund but it's very nice.

As for the bits, I like the Myler bits. Granted I only found them because of the Horsemanship shows on TV, I still find them very good for me and my horses. I have a twisted wire snaffle, and an egg butt snaffle. I also have one of their curbs and a tom thumb, but I usually only use the snaffles.