Should I geld?
Not sure if this is an appropriate topic for the "breeding" area, but I imagine people here would be knowledgeable in this area.
I have two younger stallions, 2 and 3 years old. They came to me about 3 weeks ago in pretty bad shape. Extremely neglected nutritionally as well as healthwise (grooming and parasite control). I wormed all of them and am "shocking" their systems with vitamins and minerals, and they are showing improvement.
My questions is this: I would like to geld both of them, but wonder if it would benefit them to keep them whole for the next year or so until they fully develop. I think due to neglect they won't grow to their full potential, but will gelding them further lessen the chance? I am aware that in a normal situation that would have no effect, and imagine in my situation as well. Just thought I would ask.
I want to wait at least another month until they are healthier so that their bodies are better able to deal with the effects of the procedure, but am wondering if there is any reason to wait longer.
I'm no expert, but since gelding is a minor procedure I doubt it would have any noticable affect on their health (barring infection or anything, of course, but that shouldn't happen).
Gelding should, in fact, improve their chances. Gelding earlier actually helps a horse's development, since the decrease in testosterone does not inhibit their growth so much. Like I said, I'm no expert, but if you're worried about them not reaching their full growth potential, keeping them entire would probably hinder this.
I would wait until they are 100% healthy as you thought just in case they get an infection in the wound. You dont want to lose a horse over something as silly as not being able to fight off a infection but i think that waiting a year is excessive. I think that as a general rule, gelding ASAP is the best way to go. :lol:
Plus, if they are both uncastrated..........that doesn't work that great. :wink: lol
Thanks for the advice. I already have a 4 year old stallion as well who I plan on using for breeding so it could definitely get ugly around the barn once these guys start feeling better.
Once they are healthy again I'll have the vet get it done ASAP.
Geld them as soon as you feel they are healthy enough... the sooner the better. One risk with them as is...as soon as they are feeling healthier their stallion like behaviors may show up and if they were malnourished, it is quite possible they were also not trained much?? In which case, they may not have been taught their manners as young stallions.
I could see things getting really ugly with three young stallions on your property (two of which have likely not had the proper "grooming" in stallion etiquette.
I agree with what has already been said, as soon as your vet thinks they are healthy enough.....snip, snip. It could make things worse for them being uncastrated with an older stallion on the property already, it would be very stressful for them with all that competition. It could work against trying to make them healthy. Good luck!!
It really depends on the horses. If they're really studdy, I'd cut them Asap, but if they're fairly mellow, leave it until they're a little healthier so they can more easily fight an infection if it should occur. Your vet is probably the best person to ask :wink:
Yes i agree whats been said up there too... Gelding would be the best opinion. But first get them to a efficent weight and health.. :)
Good luck :wink:
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.