The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What bit to use in dressage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-bit-use-dressage-5014/)

Eventer4545 01-01-2008 09:27 PM

What bit to use in dressage?

Any suggestions about which bit to use for dressage? I want to have the best contact with his mouth as possible. Any help? Please :D

horse_luver4e 01-01-2008 09:30 PM

O-Ring Snaffle. I use those for everything! :)

BluMagic 01-01-2008 09:37 PM

I don't do dressage at the moment but I hear that Weymouths, Mullen Mouths, Dressage Curbs, and Myler bits work wonders. ;-)

Spirithorse 01-01-2008 09:44 PM

I would stear clear of single jointed bits, especially for dressage! You will want to go with a double jointed bit. I'd suggest the JP by Korsteel Oval Mouth Copper Loose Ring snaffle. I believe it's legal for dressage, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I Love Lane 01-02-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse
I would stear clear of single jointed bits, especially for dressage! You will want to go with a double jointed bit. I'd suggest the JP by Korsteel Oval Mouth Copper Loose Ring snaffle. I believe it's legal for dressage, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Not sure that you can use anything but a snaffle for the lower levels :wink: (about 98% sure but could be wrong) so a double jointed bit is not legal i dont think.

Sara 01-02-2008 09:49 AM

French links are legal.

Spirithorse 01-02-2008 12:45 PM

The JP bit I suggested IS a snaffle :wink:

BriLeigh 01-05-2008 06:22 PM

You can not have any type of twisted bit what-so-ever.

I use a D-ring snaffle. If you are looking for the best kind of contact then you will want to look at how thick or skinny the bit is. That usually will help. The fatter the bit, the softer it is in your horse's mouth. You just have to decide whether your horse is hard or soft in the mouth. It won't fix it but it will be legal and can help.

If you are going to show then you should read the rulebook for each one to make sure what you have is legal. It sucks get disqualified because you didn't know the rules for bits.

kittykattylover 10-05-2014 10:57 PM

D-Ring, They are always great, and give the horse a nice bit for there mouth! :O

DraftyAiresMum 10-05-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittykattylover (Post 6331153)
D-Ring, They are always great, and give the horse a nice bit for there mouth! :O

Can I ask why you're dredging up threads that are so old? This one and another one you posted on are six years old.
Posted via Mobile Device