The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Oral meds -- massive problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/oral-meds-massive-problem-50147/)

Lonannuniel 03-15-2010 02:30 PM

Oral meds -- massive problem

My horse kai is an absolute sweet heart, he is good with every type of medication there is, except for oral meds. I haven`t had him too long but im guessing that his old owners mad a massive deal with giving him meds. If you go to put anything in his mouth, he raises his head and flips out basically. he is bad with normal meds, but with wormer he is extra bad. I don`t know how i would fix this problem. he is a massive horse so having him raise his head is a huge problem. Im not sure there is a way to fix this, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Vidaloco 03-15-2010 02:41 PM

I always recommend the EZ wormer. Vida is just VIOLENT about getting anything in her mouth. I have tried everything to make this easier but I hate to say, I gave up. The others are great and I made sure my baby's are good about it.
I am a firm believer in this thing, it just makes it so much easier for those that can not be taught a new trick :lol::wink:
Tip, be sure to have the paste already in the bit before you put it on. Otherwise your dealing with the same thing, trying to go at their mouth with a syringe.
http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/ass...EasyWormer.jpg
Easy WormerŽ - Wormers - Horse, Ivermectins

eta- I better add Vida is fine with a bit, I just reread and it sounds like she wont take a bit :lol:

Alwaysbehind 03-15-2010 02:50 PM

Have you tried simply adding them to his feed? Some soaked beet pulp and a little molasses goes a long way to make just about anything edible.

heyycutter 03-15-2010 02:57 PM

Vidaloco:

my horse is horrible about being wormed, i have to put a chain over his nose and have someone else hold him down, and he still runs backwards,rears, throws his head, screams, etc.
I am going to try that easy wormer thing

gypsygirl 03-15-2010 03:07 PM

i would first teach him to put his head down by putting pressure on his poll

then hold the tube against the side of his mouth until he relaxes & keeps his head down. if hes trying to move around try to keep the tube touching his mouth, so he realizes he cant get away from it. once he relaxes, take the tube away & give him a pat and/or a treat.

i would just do that for as long as it takes [a little bit every day] for it to be easy & then deworm/medicate him

Vidaloco 03-15-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyycutter (Post 577479)
Vidaloco:

my horse is horrible about being wormed, i have to put a chain over his nose and have someone else hold him down, and he still runs backwards,rears, throws his head, screams, etc.
I am going to try that easy wormer thing

I have no problem with the other girls. I started my baby's young to not be stinkers about anything strange going in thier mouth. I just walk up stick in the corner of the mouth and squirt :lol:
Vida? No way! Shes great at lowering her head with pressure, takes the bit with no problems, Wormer?....get the easy bit :lol: Either that or end up with all the paste on the ground. :evil:

tealamutt 03-15-2010 03:22 PM

Vida, that thing is cool, I have never seen one before. i still think it is good to be able to do whatever you want to your horse, treatment-wise but we don't live in an ideal world and some horses just never get over their issues. Nice to know there is an option out there!

ridergirl23 03-15-2010 06:06 PM

Vida, that halter thing is GENUIS! renas fine with meds in her mouth but if i ever meet a horse that isnt.......