The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is this True? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/true-5015/)

buckaroo2010 01-01-2008 11:29 PM

Is this True?

I would like to know if this is true or not it has not me very suspesious :? :shock:

I was told if you blanket a horse all the time only in winter weather it will make them not want to make there only body heat since there getting the heat from the balnket...Is this true? bc i dont want to do this to my horse if its going to cause his body to forget how to make its own heat
:( :( :(

Thanks

BluMagic 01-01-2008 11:32 PM

Ih ave never really heard of them MAKING their body heat but it sounds very possible. Blu doesn't get blanketed. His Winter coat is as long as my index finger but his summer coat is about half and inch or so. :roll:

I Love Lane 01-01-2008 11:34 PM

hahahaha...... I am not laughing at you but that is so cute!

NO a horse will not FORGET haow to make body heat. If you start the Fall and Winter with blankets - finish that way due to the fact that your horse will not have the guard hairs and undercoat to protect them from the chill but if you decide not to blanket next year - your horse will be fine :lol: :lol: :lol:

buckaroo2010 01-01-2008 11:39 PM

ok I was just wanting to make sure bc the person that told me was so SERIOUS!! and i was getting a little freaked out :shock:

tim 01-02-2008 12:33 AM

Lol.

No thats ridiculous. If you want it to get rid of it's winter coat year round you have to keep it under lights. Blanketing doesn't work.

buckaroo2010 01-02-2008 12:37 AM

Thanks guys! what would i do without yall :) i'm going to have to tell the person that told me that that they were wrong :lol: :lol:

I Love Lane 01-02-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
Thanks guys! what would i do without yall :) i'm going to have to tell the person that told me that that they were wrong :lol: :lol:

tell them that we had a giggle at their expense....... :wink: :twisted:

Kyani 01-02-2008 11:58 AM

No, that sounds silly. If you blanket them too early, it will stop them growing a proer winter coat, as their body won't feel the realise they need it (used by showing people to stop the fuzziness) but even that won't have an effect year to year.

buckaroo2010 01-02-2008 01:53 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well i told them and they were like really? and i said YUP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tim 01-02-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well i told them and they were like really? and i said YUP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and they were like, "ugh, were so not friends anymore."

Probly not. :o