The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Ahh getting excited! (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/ahh-getting-excited-50166/)

Dressage10135 03-15-2010 07:45 PM

Ahh getting excited!

My horse and I are going to be competing for the first time together this spring in Intro Level; and I'm getting stoked! :D I was just wondering if any of you have any tips on preparing right before a show. How do you remember the test? How do you keep your nerves down? My first show is on April 24, and I'm already nervous :lol:

ridergirl23 03-15-2010 08:15 PM

i 'ride' the test on the ground to remember it, ahah like, without a horse, just make some little paper letter and set them up in your house or yard and pretend your ridng a test! haha
dont be nervous! the worst thing that could happen is you fall off, and that could happen at home too, so just stay calm and your horse should stay calm and it should go well! :D
good luck! and dont be nervous! showing is fun! :)

Dressage10135 03-15-2010 08:28 PM

haha thats exactly what I was planning on doing to try and remember the test!! Very true about staying calm to keep my horse calm, he is a sensitive guy, probably not a good idea to freak out! :lol: Showing sounds like a ton of fun so I hope we do well!

reining girl 03-15-2010 08:50 PM

thats exciting liz!!! you better have a zillion pics, or video would even be better hehe. I cant offer you any help as i dont do dressage lol.

Dressage10135 03-15-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reining girl (Post 577798)
thats exciting liz!!! you better have a zillion pics, or video would even be better hehe. I cant offer you any help as i dont do dressage lol.

Thanks RJ! :D Oh I'm sure I'll have both!! :lol:

Amir 03-16-2010 01:18 AM

Best tip I've was ever told for riding a dressage test is smile :-)
I feel a bit more relaxed and don't get as tense as I do when I'm not smiling and having fun with it.
Oh and also don't over practise your test on your horse. First dressage test I ever rode was for an ODE and I practised the test waaaaaaay too many times on my old horse and he started pre-empting every movement and then I spent the whole test fighting with him.

PumpkinzMyBaby22 03-16-2010 05:32 AM

i was told dont memorize the test,just get familiar with it, or you will spend the time trying to remember what to do, rather then perfecting your movments. anyways have fun and good luck!

HalfPass 03-16-2010 09:28 AM

Way exciting!!!
I would say practice your test and go out there and have fun. Do you have a coach? I can't remember.
Showing is fun. I haven't done it in years!
If you do have an instructor ask them about keeping your mind quiet from the "white noise" This will help you to stay more calm and focused on what your doing.
Take a break from the arena if you can. Go for a ride outside of the arena so that it isn't always work work work and no relaxation time between now and your show date.
I am sure that you will do wonderful and I cannot wait to see you pics...
Halfpass
:)

My Beau 03-16-2010 02:16 PM

Don't forget to breathe! I tend to hold me breath when I'm in the ring... it just makes things worse. Every now and then tell yourself DEEP BREATH! It helps :)

I've gotten into a habit where everytime I need to turn a corner or circle I mentally remind myself to breathe... it really helps you relax, and in turn, ride better :)

MyBoyPuck 03-17-2010 10:48 PM

Have some friends sit at the end of your ring and practice your final halt. My horse was very surprised to have people sitting there in a gazebo at his first show. Our halt took about 30 seconds to complete. Got a 3 on that one!