The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Keeping Thighs Pressed (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/keeping-thighs-pressed-50188/)

kathryn 03-15-2010 11:01 PM

Keeping Thighs Pressed

My thighs always always come off and its super annyoing, and when I really focus it turns out I am too weak and it hurts too much. What I can I do to strengthen my inner upper legs?

charlicata 03-15-2010 11:05 PM

I used to do squats. The way it was put to me by my old trainer, post just like you would if you were riding the horse.

AQHA13 03-15-2010 11:07 PM

When your sitting at home practice holding a soccer ball or something between your legs. Keep squeezing everyday until you can start doing it for longer. There are also other exercises that would help with overall strength and fitness, just use google and you'll find lots! :)

Gillian 03-15-2010 11:23 PM

Those are good suggestions, but me, I just ride. When something needs fixing I lose my stirrups and focus solely on moving with my horse, riding with my core, wrapping my whole leg evenly around my horse's sides, etc. All I can suggest is practice, practice, practice! It'll come eventually as long as you keep up with it. :]

Kayty 03-16-2010 05:25 AM

Do your toes turn out?? Usually one problem is linked to another. It is very hard to have your thighs/knees out when your toes are pointing forward.
By the way, be glad you have loose thighs rather than someone that tends to grip with the thighs and knees!!! We all aim to have a looser upper leg :D
You just need to learn to control that looseness. It is not about forcing the issue, but just making minor adjustments such as concentrating on keeping your toes forward.

Taking your stirrups away will encourage you to grip with your upper leg, and to a degree this will be good for you, but you do not want to go the other way and start gripping. Gripping with your knees will block your pelvis, take your lower legs off and swing them forward. This will effectively block your 'go' button. You don't want that!

horsequeen373 04-01-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 578055)
Do your toes turn out?? Usually one problem is linked to another. It is very hard to have your thighs/knees out when your toes are pointing forward.
By the way, be glad you have loose thighs rather than someone that tends to grip with the thighs and knees!!! We all aim to have a looser upper leg :D
You just need to learn to control that looseness. It is not about forcing the issue, but just making minor adjustments such as concentrating on keeping your toes forward.

Taking your stirrups away will encourage you to grip with your upper leg, and to a degree this will be good for you, but you do not want to go the other way and start gripping. Gripping with your knees will block your pelvis, take your lower legs off and swing them forward. This will effectively block your 'go' button. You don't want that!

I agree. Taking stirrups away will help a ton, and if you do it properly then it will also improve other aspects of your riding. I couldn't use stirrups for about 5 months due to some knee issues and now when I use stirrups (which I can only use once a week) and even when I don't have them, I can tell such a HUGE improvment in my riding from all the no stirrup work.

shanoona 04-06-2010 02:56 PM

I had the same problem few years ago, since I didn't ride much often, I hadn't made any muscles...:( Just buy an gymnastic ball (I dunno if this is the right expression-I'm not english)-U know this large ball you can sit on, used somtimes to make back muscles better...and push it with your legs. I also tried to go up-down like while trotting. It helped me a lot.

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2010 10:28 PM

Do you ride in a close contact or narrow twist saddle? I'm just curious because I just got a new saddle, my first close contact model, and I'm finding a lot of extra space down there. It sure it a different feeling from a wider twist saddle.