The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bridleless (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bridleless-5021/)

PaintsandPintos70 01-02-2008 09:20 AM

Bridleless

This winter i have been working on riding my mare, slipper, bridleless. It is a very hard but very rewarding training process! A few days ago I finally did it, completeing an entire horsemanship pattern bareback and Bridleless. We did a flying lead change, lope circles,extended jog to regular jog, stop and back, pivots that were more like reining spins!! and slipper is only 4!!!! It was an amazing feeling and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how it is going??

Sara 01-02-2008 09:46 AM

Congrats, that's great:)

PaintsandPintos70 01-02-2008 03:38 PM

Thanks Sara!! It was rather fun!! lol

AKPaintLover 01-02-2008 04:03 PM

That is awesome! When you say bridleless, do you mean leg and seat control only? Or do you mean in a halter? Either way, very nice, but I have been very impressed when I have seen people riding all over with no head control!

PaintsandPintos70 01-02-2008 04:32 PM

thanks and by bridleless i mean with out anything on her head and only a lead rope around her neck! I rarley use the lead though and it is mostly leg and seat and voice control.

AKPaintLover 01-02-2008 10:47 PM

WOW!! I am jealous :) I am able to use a halter and also drop my reins completely and use seat for certain maneuvers, but have not been able to go totally brideless yet. It is a dream though :)

Spirithorse 01-02-2008 11:04 PM

That's fantastic!! Congrats!!

I've had my share of bridleless rides. They are amazing. I love doing simple lead changes bridleless. Canter to the center, stop, pick up the other lead, kind of like serpintines. And it's all bridleless. I love it!

Cheval 01-02-2008 11:28 PM

That's such a great progress :D

PaintsandPintos70 01-02-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse
That's fantastic!! Congrats!!

I've had my share of bridleless rides. They are amazing. I love doing simple lead changes bridleless. Canter to the center, stop, pick up the other lead, kind of like serpintines. And it's all bridleless. I love it!

great job!! I like flying lead changes much better than simples myself though!! Ive done my fair share of simples though too. I won two congress championships with my horse and they included simples!! two other congress championships included flyings, on a 4 YEAR OLD!!!!!

tim 01-03-2008 12:02 AM

Yes, it's also a very useful technique in shows. When you can tweak your horse with your feet, you really open a lot of doors.

:wink:

I enjoy it. The only use I have for the bridle these days is to tweak his headset and do exercises that require him to lean into the bridle a bit. That and bending.