The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Trimming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/trimming-50229/)

wordstoasong 03-16-2010 05:14 PM

Trimming

Hey everyone, I was wondering something on trimming. The farrier is coming this week (and I was told that the BO talked to all the boarders that if they are NOT there for the farrier, their horse does not get trimmed).

How long is it ok for a horse not to have trimmed feet? Murray is barefoot, and has nice hooves already, but I'm wondering how long can a horse be not trimmed? Farriers comes every 6 weeks to do feet work. Thanks.

Speed Racer 03-16-2010 05:19 PM

Ideally, a horse should be trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on hoof growth.

Honeysuga 03-16-2010 06:04 PM

I would say 4 to 7 weeks, but 6 is fine if your horse needs to go 6 weeks. If he needs them sooner, if he has little rabbit growing feet, have your trimmer show you how to just maintenance them in between, that way he can stay on schedule and your horses feet stay healthy. Maybe get one of htose one gimmicky things, cant remember what they are called but the hand held things that are V shaped, you can just smooth a little off when they start to get a little long before an apt. ( again, have your trimmer show you exactly how to do it so they stay balanced).

aintnocitygirl 03-16-2010 06:14 PM

All hooves are different. One horse might have a really thin wall & needs to be trimmed more often to avoid cracks. Another might have thick walls that don't split that much if they grow long. Ideally it is every 6 weeks a horse should be trimmed.
I trim my own horses & very lightly round their hooves once a week. I find it keeps their hooves in good shape. They never flare & crack & are always comfortable for them. :)

wordstoasong 03-18-2010 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone! I will ask about keeping my horses hooves perfectly shaped if needed.

My2Geldings 03-18-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 578420)
Ideally, a horse should be trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on hoof growth.

Thatss the time frame I've followed for years. Every horse is different and depending on the main surface you ride on, it can affect how quickly your horse's feet get warn down thus prolonging when you need a trim.

JustDressageIt 03-18-2010 04:42 PM

It completely depends on the horse... Denny needs to be trimmed every 4-6 weeks (ugh and my farrier isn't inexpensive), Maia needed every 8-9 weeks. Keeping a close eye on your horse's feet over a period of time will tell you how often they need to be done.
Keep an eye on the seasons as well; Denny seems to need to be trimmed more frequently in the summer versus the winter. His feet also soften up in the spring (when it's wet) and seem to grow quicker as well.