The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I really need a review! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-really-need-review-50253/)

Tasia 03-16-2010 10:48 PM

I really need a review!

After 6 months of from show season (not riding) I am brain dead about preparing my horse for shows. So I only have three in April so I am focusing on those!
Here are a few questions!

Champs mane is about 6in long,brittle and frizzy. What should I do with it?

I have noticed in my pictures that he doesnt look umm... well bright. His eyes look really tired and his skin around his face looks really dull. This only happens in the summer months. What can I do to brighten him up?

Should I keep him in a stall the day before a show? So he stays clean or would this stress him out?

Do you have any tips on how to... well make me appear slimmer? I am trying to lose weight but its not going to happen over night.

Should I oil hooves for the shows?

Tasia

Honeysuga 03-16-2010 11:12 PM

Slimmer, wear spanx under your outfit. Wear a darker color, minimize sparkles and such in trouble areas(arms, tummy, booty ect.) Apply "fat makeup" to your face(shade under your jawline to make it appear more defined(color depends on your skin tone, I would have to see to suggest), shade vary lightly around your entire face, use a good neutral brownish gray(make fishy face and apply dark neutral blush lightly,) then regular blush lightly on non fishy face. Wear good fitting undergarments and clothes to not appear bulgy.

Brighten him up, supplement him with some vitamins(talk to your vet) keep him well hydrated, give him plenty of turnout to get his spirits up.

Mane, condition the crap out of it, do not brush it, keep it braided. Also if he is looking mentally and emotionally dull and his mane is funky, he could have some sort of nutrition deficiency.

Before the show, stall him, but give him some nice handgrazing and walks every few hours so he does not get stressed.

I would not use an oil or dirt will stick to them like crazy, use a gloss instead, if you are working on sand skip that too it will be sanded off, just use a conditioner to make them look nice.

Tasia 03-16-2010 11:19 PM

Mane, condition the crap out of it, do not brush it, keep it braided. Also if he is looking mentally and emotionally dull and his mane is funky, he could have some sort of nutrition deficiency.

I think the dry mane is from him rolling in the mud and not being washed in 6 months.
Hes always bright and happy in the spring so I think he gets dehydrated between classes.

Live2Jump 03-17-2010 05:38 PM

a quick tip is to rub a little vaseline around where the mussle and eyes are looking really dry, this isnt a long term solution and you shoud look into maybe dehydration or lack of supplements, but it has worked for me in the past as a quick spruce up :)

huntergirl84 03-17-2010 05:49 PM

I have more experience with showing hunters, but hopefully these tips are universal---for the mane, I'd recommend conditioning it weekly until your show. You could try show sheening it too, but some folks don't like this in the mane as they think it's too slick. For the coat, the best thing you can do is a full groom everyday, i.e. curry, then hard/,medium brush and then a soft brush. Do this on the face as well. You may also need to sponge around the eyes and muzzle regularly to keep "crud" from building up. Assuming there is no issue with dehydration or nutrition, you could also try a coat enhancing supplement, there are tons out there. For a last minute fix at the show, rub baby oil (in moderation) around your horse's eyes and muzzle, as this creates that pretty, kinda shiny look.

As for stalling, this is all personal preference. I'd rather have my horse get all of his energy out and have as little break to his routine as possible prior to a show, so I turn him out and just plan to bathe him sometime between when he's brought in and trailered to the show OR bathe him at the show.

ptvintage 03-17-2010 06:15 PM

I don't have any advice for the horse, but I have advice for the clothing! I love love love fashion!

First, DON'T wear a busy pattern. Ex. Hobby Horse Clothing Co. - Verona Blouse LTD

Something with black paneling on the sides will slim you Ex. Hobby Horse Clothing Co. - Slinkies

The "black slims" is right, but the truth of that is, if you were one color from top to bottom it will slim you. The less busy your outfit looks, the less the eye jumps around, the slimmer you look. Dressing in one color makes you resemble a column. Imo, black is boring though, so if you do decide to go the all black route, I should suggest having something on you that is an interesting detail. ex. Hobby Horse Clothing Co. - Ritz SwitchIt Jacket LTD

When you dress, think of how the lines your clothes form draw the eyes. Vertical lines, be it the pattern in the clothing, or just the way the clothes draps will think you. Horizontal lines will make you look wider, as will dressing like a stacked blocks: one color on the legs, and a completely different color on top.

I do agree with getting spanx or some sort of body supporting underclothes. Those things are incredible! The makeup I don't agree with. Besides the fact that unless you really know how to put on makeup you'll end up looking really weird, you will probably look best wearing natural makeup. Ex. http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6123/199mf0.jpg
Please no layer of eyeliner! You aren't a raccoon!
I don't know your skin tone though, so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything past that.

My personal thoughts on color- half the people in the ring will be wearing black. A quarter will be wearing sand or beige. The rest will be wearing some really bright gaudy color. If you are set on black, also consider hunter green, navy blue, or a deep red. They are the same tonal range, so you would get the same effect as black, but they will stand out. I also don't show western, and I haven't been to a western show in like 5 years, so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

shesinthebarn 03-17-2010 10:32 PM

What events are you showing in? If it's a reining, I'd leave the mane long. Heck, I've even seen pleasure horses lately woth longer manes, so why cut it?
The only slimming tip I have for you is to match your chap and jean colour. It's less busy and doesn't draw your eye constantly to the badonkadonk.

Tasia 03-18-2010 07:15 PM

I am looking at the spanx. I am competing in Showmanship, halter, horsemanship,western pleasure,reining and trail. I think I will keep his mane long and diamond braid it.
Thanks for everyones help so far!!

Tasia 03-21-2010 11:34 PM

The only problem with dressing in the same colour is that we are going the royal blue route. I cant find blue pants?

Pidge 03-23-2010 12:36 PM

Try ,if you can get away with it, to wear a nice pressed pair of blue jeans in the same or similar shade of royal blue to your shirt. Thats my advise on the color issue.

As for the mane....I say lots of conditioning till the show. and once at the show some sort of hair gel to calm it. Also i was going to suggest diamond braids. Ive found that it looks real good on horses who have manes that fall into that weird "to long to button/hunter braid or band, BUT to short to do a french/running braid" Both my horses manes fall into this category....

For shinny....I agree with what has already been said...lots of good tips here...