The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle advice for my TWH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-advice-my-twh-50259/)

snoggle 03-16-2010 11:43 PM

Saddle advice for my TWH

It's become very obvious that my TWH HATES the Aussie saddle I've been riding her in. She went to the neighbor's for a month of training and she did wonderfully in his cheap synthetic saddle. Today we put my saddle on her, the trainer hopped on her and she started acting all screwy. She's never bucked before, but she did some mild bucking today. :shock: Now, the trainer outweighs me by 90 pounds, so we figured that that was why she was never that bad with me in my saddle. However, she doesn't gait well in it, so I've been questioning this saddle for quite a while. I was never sure if it was the saddle or something I was doing. I rode her in his cheap synthetic and she was wonderful. It is definitely the saddle. Really stinks since I love riding in it - it feels so secure.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I did a wither tracing to fit the Aussie, so now I'm lost as to how to get something that fits.

Neighbor recommended an Abetta (though his is something else). I like their endurance models - I would prefer something without a horn. Any thoughts on Abettas?

Would I be better off to get a saddle for a "gaited" horse, considering what happened with the Aussie?

BTW - I only trail ride - sometimes all day. I think I'd like the easy cleaning and lightweight aspect of a synthetic.

snoggle 03-17-2010 12:02 AM

I forgot to mention - the neighbor's cheap saddle is not specifically for gaited horses and neither is my husband's old western saddle and she did well in both of these.

wild_spot 03-17-2010 12:19 AM

The only way you will get a saddle that fits if your not sure is to get a saddle fitter out.

snoggle 03-17-2010 12:24 AM

There are no saddle fitters anywhere near where I live. The closest would probably be 2 hours away in Lexington. I don't have a trailor to haul her to them either.

wild_spot 03-17-2010 12:40 AM

Ok, that does make it tricky! See if you can find an online company who fits from not only a wither tracing, but a spine profile, wither tracing, and photos.

twh 03-17-2010 12:52 AM

I ride my TWH with a plain, boring Circle Y trail saddle.

As for the saddle fitting, have you checked the saddle fitting sticky? That might help you.

trailhorserider 03-17-2010 02:38 AM

I have never bought from this particular saddle maker, but when I was shopping for a saddle I came across "Dixieland Gaited Saddles." I didn't even own a gaited horse at the time, but what intrigued me is that the have forms they can send out to you to try on your horse to make sure you get the right tree. The forms are the same as the bottoms of the saddle trees they use. That might be something to look into. :-)

I don't have their website handy, but I'm sure you can find them on Google.

SouthernTrails 03-17-2010 11:09 AM

Abetta and Bighorn make a Cordura Saddle that fits a Wide Gaited Horse for about 400.00 new.

I do want to stress Wide Gaited (7" Gullet), as everyone knows many TWH can use a 6.5" or 6.75" Gullet, so before getting the off-the shelf Brands you should ask the dealer for some Templates or Fitting Forms, you can also use the measuring method Iridehorses "sticked" at the top of this section.

If you have a TWH that is a little narrower, Bighorn and a few others have some Cordura and Leather Combo Models in the 600.00 range.

snoggle 03-17-2010 01:56 PM

trailhorserider,
I'd looked at Dixieland saddles once before, but seeing how they do the fitting, I am tempted. I, of course, like the lower price of the Abettas, but maybe I'd be better of to get something like that which would be fitted to her. I think I'll call them and ask a bunch of questions. Thanks!

snoggle 03-17-2010 01:59 PM

SouthernTrailsGA,
I'm wondering if maybe the wide would be better for her. I think her Aussie saddle fit pretty well when I first got it - but she's filled out and grown a bunch since then. I think she's just a lot wider now. Hopefully she won't grow much more since she's 4 this spring.