The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Any way a 12 hh stud can live cover a 16 hh mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/any-way-12-hh-stud-can-50300/)

NittanyEquestrian 03-17-2010 03:40 PM

Any way a 12 hh stud can live cover a 16 hh mare?

I got offered a free breeding to a friend's 12 hh welsh cob x stud with my 16 hh TB mare. He's adorable and has a lot of substance to him relative to his size with some really nice conformation. I have been planning to breed my mare for a sport pony to bring up. I really can't pass up this deal and since it would be a H/J or eventing/PC pony the fact that it wouldn't be registered isn't a big deal to me as it wouldn't be a breed show animal anyways. I'm looking more at what he can improve on my mare and yet still give me a high probability for a pony sized offspring. Only problem is that they don't AI only do live cover. I have heard of backing mares up to small rises with good footing, building ramps, etc. I'm not sure if any of that is safe or would work for them. Or if the little guy could just stretch and cover her on his own? She has never been bred but has been teased and is a very willing breeder as far as we can tell so I'm not concerned about her hurting him as much as him hurting himself trying to mount her. Anyone ever try this? I am also looking into getting someone to collect him and AI her but they don't have a breeding dummy and I know it's harder to collect without one not to mention I don't have breeding stocks for her either. I have collected and AI'd myself with the proper facilities but I'm not comfortable doing it on my own without a dummy and stocks. So any suggestions, advice, or experience would be helpful. It's still in the planning stages but I don't want to go about it the wrong way. And I'd rather not breed than spend a lot of money on this little project.

Spyder 03-17-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NittanyEquestrian (Post 579137)
Or if the little guy could just stretch and cover her on his own?

Where there is a will...........there IS a way..LOL

NittanyEquestrian 03-17-2010 04:23 PM

God I hope that's true. He's such a cute and polite little stud that I think he would make fantastic babies and not having a stud fee is just awesome lol.

farmpony84 03-17-2010 04:28 PM

a friend of mine had an A mini (I think A - the smaller size) that she bred to a 16 hand QH. They did a live cover, they made a "ramp" for him. It was made out of a huge pile of packed dirt, they backed her up to him. The first time it didn't take, the second time it did. The mini had excellent confirmation and would have made a darling pony if bred to a mare that was less confirmationally challenged then the one they used....

Piaffe 03-17-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 579176)
a friend of mine had an A mini (I think A - the smaller size) that she bred to a 16 hand QH. They did a live cover, they made a "ramp" for him. It was made out of a huge pile of packed dirt, they backed her up to him. The first time it didn't take, the second time it did. The mini had excellent confirmation and would have made a darling pony if bred to a mare that was less confirmationally challenged then the one they used....

lol...i would love to see a picture of that foal:shock:

farmpony84 03-17-2010 08:46 PM

I might have an old picture I'll look around!

Snowkicker 03-17-2010 09:26 PM

I have a friend who breeds Draft mules that uses the dirt ramp method. So far he has had three little mules born using that method.

I also wanted to warn you. I bred a 13 hand pony mare to a 14 2 hand paint stud. The baby is already 14 hands and not quite two yet. So much for a sport pony he will most likely be over 15 hands at this rate. He was huge when he came out of the mare. There are always genetic surprises when crossing breeds.

NittanyEquestrian 03-17-2010 09:59 PM

Yea I'm not worried about size but hoping for a pony. If it's a cob x TB small horse though it would still make a really cute children/small adult mount. I'm going for a short stirrup mount with the dad's temperament, mom's athletic ability and both their conformation. Hopefully it works out that way haha! There's a little bank at their place we are gonna try I think...I just wanted to see if it was something that had been done safely before =)

Pidge 03-17-2010 10:13 PM

friend has a just barely 14 hand arab stud who covered her 17.2 hand arab mare. He was an old pasture stud so he did it without any help. Just put the two together for a while lol. He was notorious for niping and bumping her into a ditch to make her shorter to mount. Had quite a few nice babys out of the pair lol.

As said above....where there is a will there is a way...and when it comes to studs an mares....there is ALWAYS a will. lol.

Then again... when poor little TJ did get a short mare he was in love with her. He would mount her just cause he could and lay on her without breeding. and when they did breed he actually took his time. Not typical of a stud. But when your to short to properly mount your typical 17.2 hand mate....I guess you take your time to enjoy the shorter girls lol.

NittanyEquestrian 03-18-2010 12:02 AM

HAHAHAHA Pidge. I wish there were natural depressions in the pasture but it's super flat. We're going to have to attempt to hand breed and we aren't sure if he's done that before. We will give it a go though...with her backed up to the bank if she kicks she will just hit dirt so it's kinda a good thing overall IMO. We will try to hand breed then turn them out together to try to "seal the deal" so to speak and cover our bases. If this does go I will post pictures of each of them and maybe of the actual event haha.