The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Relocated to Japan ... HELP! :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/relocated-japan-help-50317/)

MyKismet 03-17-2010 06:58 PM

Relocated to Japan ... HELP! :(

Dear Horse lovers,
Sadly my husband has just received his military orders to Okinawa Japan. I can't take my beautiful 9 yo. TB mare. I'm looking for a place that I can board her for the 3 years that I'm out of the country, in the PA/NJ area. I want her to be ridden 1-2 times a week. She's my Angel and this really hurts but selling her is not an option, because once I return I will take her back. We're currently training in dressage and I don't want to see her go to waste or worse be neglected. I would like her to go to a single rider, possibly 2 riders. No lesson horse program!
Please give me your input on what I should do. I need to find a solution my May 7th.
Thanks
Anya and My Kismet

justsambam08 03-17-2010 07:28 PM

This is a tough decision. I would say, in this case, your best option would be to lease her out for the three years you are gone. Instead of trying to find someplace that will board her for three years and then find an additional rider or riders to pay, just write up a contract for a possible leasor that states that at the end of the three years you'll be taking her back. I would be very strict (and include it in the contract) that you have to recieve updates, etc on her bi-weekly, monthly, etc by email. Video and pictures would definitely be a must. Also, in the case that her condition starts to decline, I would list some horse friends as sort of "emergency contacts" who can take her and move her to a boarding facility. Where are you located?

Phantomcolt18 03-17-2010 07:41 PM

You could go online and search some barns in those areas......someone might be able to help you out as long as you have everything in writing.

coastal123 05-17-2010 02:45 PM

Wow, that is hard. Approach every situation with care and a skeptical eye. I have heard from many people these last months that have had to go and get their leased or partial sold horses back b/c they were not being properly cared for. Have a plan B, incase you must have him moved while you are away. Have a couple of trusted friends or professionals who can go check on him on a regular basis, on your behalf-and put it in writing whether you board him, lease him or whatever, that they have your authority to speak and act on your behalf.
Good Luck!

MyBoyPuck 05-17-2010 11:13 PM

If nothing else, in the PA/NJ area, you're in a pocket of a lot of dressage riders and eventers. You shouldn't have a big problem finding a suitable temporary situation for your horse. Hopefully most people will understand how difficult this decision is for you and will do right by you and your horse.