The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Masking stinky Garlic Supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/masking-stinky-garlic-supplement-50319/)

MyBoyPuck 03-17-2010 09:03 PM

Masking stinky Garlic Supplement?

So I decided to try a new garlic supplement for fly control this year. I thought it was a pelleted feed, but instead it's a very strong smelling garlic powder. I can't put it in with his other supplements since they are have the sweet smell of cookie dough. Even for a horse, that's a wicked bad clash. I'm thinking of incorporating the garlic powder into a hay cube or something and feed it as a treat. Does anyone have any suggestions, particularly on how to knock the smell down a bit? I let him try it out of my hand today and he didn't seem too particularly interested. I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-20-2010 10:17 AM

I just put my mare on that stuff too and yeah it stinks lol!! I put it in with her grain and that's the only way she'll eat it. If I try putting it on treats or just feeding it plain she won't touch it either! I sure hope this stuff works :-)

HowClever 03-20-2010 11:09 AM

my horses get garlic granules, ACV & Seaweed in their feeds and they gobble them haha

And believe me when I tell you that it is a potent blend of smells haha

westonsma 03-20-2010 11:25 AM

I'd do away with the garlic crap altogether, lol.

I'm a big fan of Skin So Soft, by Avon. I take a garden sprayer and put 1:3 parts SsS/water. Shake the bottle good, and hose your horse down. This doesn't attract bees like other fly sprays can, it's cheaper, but it does get oily after a bit, so bathing first is definitely in order.

HowClever 03-20-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westonsma (Post 581107)
I'd do away with the garlic crap altogether, lol.

Really? My guys have hardly been bugged by, well, bugs at all since I started giving them garlic. I swear by the stuff. Good for their coats too :-)

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-20-2010 09:29 PM

Since I just put Sandie on it, I'll let you all know how it is for her! It'll be EASY to tell because during the summer months she usually comes in with little bumps all OVER her because of the bugs, she's very sensitive! So we'll see how many she gets this year!

Does anyone know how long it takes to start working? My vet's actually the one who recommended it and I forgot to ask...

MyBoyPuck 03-21-2010 11:53 PM

Yeah, I do have to just hope this works. Puck gets eaten alive by the little no see-ums on his belly every April. His belly gets so itchy, and I feel so badly for him. I've tried every topical solution out there including Skin So Soft with no success. Luckily he decided he has no problem whatsoever eating this stinky stuff in with his grain, so now all I need is for it to actually work. Thanks for the replies.

liolani 03-22-2010 02:33 AM

Dear fellow riders,
There are no scientific studies that show that there is any evidence that eating garlic does anything positive for your horse, including repelling flies; however, there are many studies that show that horses that eat garlic develop heinz body anemia. Please follow this link for articles written by vets on why not to feed your horse garlic. Garlic Supplement for Horses
Aloha

welshies rule 03-22-2010 06:40 AM

well i use fresh garlic and usually chop it up and chuck it in bucket with his feed. saying that tho J got into lock up yday and decided to munch on the carrots and garlic left on the bench so I'd guess he likes the taste lol

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-22-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liolani (Post 582583)
Dear fellow riders,
There are no scientific studies that show that there is any evidence that eating garlic does anything positive for your horse, including repelling flies; however, there are many studies that show that horses that eat garlic develop heinz body anemia. Please follow this link for articles written by vets on why not to feed your horse garlic. Garlic Supplement for Horses
Aloha

Interesting...my vet's actually the one who recommended it!