The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Please help asap! My goats horn fell off! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/please-help-asap-my-goats-horn-50324/)

Brianna6432 03-17-2010 09:48 PM

Please help asap! My goats horn fell off!

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the top half of his horn fell off. I don't even know how, I just went out there and the top half of his horn is gone, with a little blood behind. I used a little hydrogen peroxide and wrapped it up. I don't know what else to do. The bottom half of his horn is wiggly! Like, his whole horn has been wiggly but in the middle it had a small crack and now the top half broke off. I'm afraid the bottom half will snap off his skull. What else do I do?! How do I take care of his horn now and what am I supposed to do to help his horn grow in sturdier?
Sooo, how do I take care of his horn now and how do I prevent the bottom half from snapping off too?

Here's a ( bad ) picture:

thunderhooves 03-18-2010 12:04 AM

call the vet and ask........... I wish you luck!

Honeysuga 03-18-2010 12:58 AM

Yeah, sounds like something is seriously wrong with the horn itself, call a vet. Better safe than sorry, plus your poor lil goatee could be in a good deal of pain...

jen 03-18-2010 05:54 AM

This happened to our goat too, and it freaked me ou! Our vet said that this can be caused by a change in diet (even a seasonal change in the available grass), and that unless they break off right at the bottom near the skull, they usuall grow back. I would think it will grow back, as you said there was only a little blood. The further down it breaks the more blood there is. The main thing is to keep it as clean as you can with some antiseptc spray, and don't be alarmed if the other horn goes too. Billys did, but they are both growing back now, which makes him grumpy becuse he wants to itch them on everything. Good luck!!:-)

CheyAut 03-19-2010 10:21 AM

My goats are all de-horned, but some weren't done properly so they have horn-type things. They're softer and smaller than a real horn, and prone to breaking off. THey bleed when they do, but then heal and re-grow to their funny horn-like things again.

ilovemyPhillip 03-21-2010 05:42 PM

All you can do is wrap it. We had one wether get his horn ripped off (it was deformed due to bad disbudding). Unless you call a livestock vet, not much else you can do...

grayshell38 03-23-2010 01:32 PM

The goat that my BO owns had a bad debudding and he grows little nubs, but they never grow very long because they break off while he itches them on a tree or something. It bleeds a little, but doesn't seem to bother him, they just keep it clean. Not much else they can do.

whiskeynoo 03-23-2010 01:47 PM

it happens to sheep a lot aswel i wouldn't worry too much about it unless the goat seems to be in distress

travlingypsy 03-29-2010 12:55 AM

Not a goat, but my pot belly pig broke half his tusk off. It actually shattered. Since there was no blood we didnt think of calling the vet out. And it didnt break his skin. But a couple days after that he had a REALLY bad bloody nose. He was loosing a lot of blood. He started to drink it, which the vet said was good. Cause it was going back into his system. But he put him on anti biotics just in case there was an infection that caused the nose bleed. It was really scary. I would think about anti biotics. Im not sure if he could get an infection in the horn. Better safe then sorry.

fancypanzy123 03-29-2010 01:12 AM

goat horns

No it isn't an overly big deal for a goat if they lose a horn. They can get busted off for a lot of reasons. They bleed like crazy. But don't worry the good news is they grow back but sometimes they don't grow back the right way. There is flesh about an inch or two long in the horn attached to the head and the rest is just dead horn. adopted a pygmy that someone tried to saw her horns off and they regrew forward instead of back. Just keep it clean and she'll be fine. Nothing else to do but wait for it to grow back.