The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Studs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/studs-5033/)

ox-tuff_rider-xo 01-02-2008 05:07 PM

Studs?

I don't really plan on breeding my horse for quite a while, but I was wondering what kind of horse would be the best to breed her to. She is a 14.2 appy/twh I THINK, she was rescued but they were pretty sure thats what she is. I am tall, so I want something with height, but would it be like bad for her if I bred her to something big like 16 hands or something? And does anyone know what the foal would look like if you bred her(very grayish, with chestnutty spots) to like, a bay warmblood?

Cheval 01-02-2008 08:01 PM

you'd have to look at her genetics, or do a little chart. i don't think a big 16hh stallion would be a big deal.

cheekyhorse 01-05-2008 02:21 AM

what were you planning on breeding for? As in, what discipline are you aiming to breed the foal for? Different breeds are better for different disciplines. If you are just wanting something for pleasure riding, maybe it would be worth it to go out and buy what you are looking for, it would be WAY cheaper. Breeding is a huge gamble, you may or may not get what you are hoping for. Is there anything about your mare that you do not like? Because there is a good chance of replicating that in the foal........ foals generally take 60% from the mother, the stallion is only a part of the equation. There is alot to think about and alot to plan when thinking of breeding. It is very expensive just to have a mare bred, and what if something were to go wrong? And then you have to wait for 3 years or more before you can ride the offspring.......
Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like some meanie and talk you out of this, but just make sure you do alot of homework and see if it's what you really want to do.

Another thing, is if your mare came from a rescue organization, you may want to check your paperwork from them, as they usually put no breeding clauses into that for the rescue horses. :wink:

arastangrider 01-05-2008 03:35 AM

not to be mean or anything but there are so many unwanted horses out there why lower the quality of the horse with breeding mix-breeds

jazzyrider 01-06-2008 06:36 AM

^^^ i believe she wants the horse for herself so its really her perogative what she breeds with what :roll:

cheekyhorse 01-06-2008 12:11 PM

maybe so Jazzy, and that's fine. But she did ask what breed would be best to breed this mare to. I can't help her if she doesn't say what she is breeding it for (as in discipline) I have nothing against breeding crossbreds or w.h.y. for yourselves if that is what you are doing....

tim 01-06-2008 01:06 PM

CheekyHorse, I think Jazzy was refering tto this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arastangrider
not to be mean or anything but there are so many unwanted horses out there why lower the quality of the horse with breeding mix-breeds

jazzyrider 01-06-2008 05:35 PM

^^^^ thanks tim. i was referring to the post you mentioned :)

Delregans Way 01-13-2008 05:01 AM

Hey there... I vote QH, although i know its very hard to get a 16hh stallion (i know plenty of geldings lol). Even if you breed with a 15.2-15.3hh QH, that will get the solidness required... I have two tallish daughters, and i find, the solid the horse, no matter how heigh it is, it can be decieving. What disipline are you wishing to pursue? :D

Harlee rides horses 01-13-2008 03:38 PM

arastangrider-If I were you I wouldn't be telling her to not make mixed breeds when your user name clearly states that you ride an arastang which just so happens to be a mixed breed.