The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Free horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/free-horses-50395/)

My Beau 03-18-2010 06:23 PM

Free horses?

How many of you have a horse that was given to you for free? Not one that was advertised as "free" and you picked up, but one where the owner approached you about the horse and said that you could have it.

That's how I got my TB mare, Daisy. One day my trainer came up and said "Melanie, I have too many horses, you can have Daisy if you want a companion for Beau."

Then today at work one of the guys in our finance office asked if I wanted one of his TBs. He has 6 that race and 2 aren't doing very well and he wants to find new homes/jobs for them. He said to come take a look at them and if I like them/one, I can take them/one for free.

Does this happen to you guys alot?
I can't take one of his TBs, unfortunately, we already have a full barn. But I wish I could - sounds like a good project!

PaintsPwn 03-18-2010 06:26 PM

Oh I've had... three? An injured OTQH, a green 13 yo paint, and a little pony. They're gone now, but all three went to great loving homes that are going to keep them forever if they can! I tried to buy the pony back, but they're way too happy with him. DARN IT! But I guess I did my job retraining, rehabbing and rehoming them!

Equus_girl 03-18-2010 06:42 PM

Well, in 6 days I am picking up an 18 year old mare that is being given to me. Last fall some friends of ours told me that they can't ride any more (they are getting older) and they wanted a good home for their horse where she would be kept ridden. So I am getting her and will have her next Wednesday! She'll be my first horse and I'm happy to be getting a well trained one.
'

Jake and Dai 03-18-2010 07:24 PM

When I was in my early 20s I decided to start riding lessons again and was in a tack shop being fitted for field boots. I started chatting with a lady next to me and told her eventually I was going to buy my first horse...and she said I have a 16 yr old tb you could have if you wanted. She wanted to buy her daughter another equitation horse and needed room in her barn. She delivered him to me about a week later and I had him until he passed away in our paddock at 23. He was a big bay bombproof doll named Automatic Pilot. And was he ever! The perfect first horse!

englishrider 03-18-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus_girl (Post 580081)
Well, in 6 days I am picking up an 18 year old mare that is being given to me.

6 more days, huh! I'm excited for you!

Equus_girl 03-18-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishrider (Post 580122)
6 more days, huh! I'm excited for you!

Thanks! I'm very excited and can hardly keep my thoughts on anything else!

Wallaby 03-18-2010 10:24 PM

Lacey was basically given to me. Her previous owner actually approached my trainer about finding someone to give Lacey to and my trainer thought of me, I guess. Lacey's previous owner just wanted Lacey to find someone that she had an amazing connection with and the owner wasn't going to give her up (she was going to have her be put down instead) unless that perfect person was found. I guess she could tell from when she saw Lacey and I together that we were the ones. And it's true! Lacey is truly my girl, without a doubt.

Lucara 03-18-2010 11:02 PM

I've been offered free horses before but there is no such thing as a free horse. Lol and I can't afford to support one right now. :( *sigh*

CheyAut 03-19-2010 09:23 AM

I have three like that, and have turned down many others.

gypsygirl 03-19-2010 09:25 AM

im getting a free horse from a friend as soon as she can ship him down =] [april or may] i cant wait !

i actually get offers for free horses all the time, but this is a nice looking horse with a good mind, hes just green. im so excited =]