The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Dry lots... (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/dry-lots-50463/)

kmdstar 03-19-2010 07:58 PM

Dry lots...

This will probably seem like a silly question, but how exactly do you...make a dry lot? In the fall I'll be looking to move and Dream is overweight (we believe she is Insulin Resistent) and if she was on grass... :shock: the thought of her on grass makes me cringe. So I'll be needing to have a dry lot, but I don't know how to go about that. Help? :lol:

DakotaLuv 03-19-2010 09:25 PM

Just have a small pen, quarter acre or around that is a good size for dry lots. And just don't irrigate it...there ya go! You could even take a fourwheeler or something and drag a harrow over it so it kind of keeps the grass from growing. There's not much to it.

PaintHorseMares 03-19-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DakotaLuv (Post 580844)
Just have a small pen, quarter acre or around that is a good size for dry lots. And just don't irrigate it...there ya go! You could even take a fourwheeler or something and drag a harrow over it so it kind of keeps the grass from growing. There's not much to it.

If you make a 1/4 acre paddock, just leave the grass....your horse will eat it to the roots in no time at all and it will be gone. Try to pick a place that drains well or you'll have more mud than you can believe when it rains a lot.

kmdstar 03-19-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 580872)
If you make a 1/4 acre paddock, just leave the grass....your horse will eat it to the roots in no time at all and it will be gone. Try to pick a place that drains well or you'll have more mud than you can believe when it rains a lot.

I was wondering if that would work, but it'll grow back so I was wondering if there was an alternative. I can have Starlite clean it up in no time for Dream but when it grows back I don't want Dream eating it. :?

DakotaLuv 03-19-2010 10:23 PM

At that size and if you don't keep your horse of free choice hay then you're not going to get much growth. As the horse eats it down to the roots, the grass will die.

Honeysuga 03-19-2010 10:47 PM

Or you could apply something to kill the grass and cover it with pea gravel, crusher fines, peanut hulls, sawdust, shavings, or something that will keep it a "dry" lot. Make sure it gets great drainage.

PaintHorseMares 03-20-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DakotaLuv (Post 580904)
At that size and if you don't keep your horse of free choice hay then you're not going to get much growth. As the horse eats it down to the roots, the grass will die.

Exactly...the grass will be gone, and anything she doesn't eat (like weeds) will be trampled to death and be gone, too. You really don't need to do anything at all.

White Foot 03-20-2010 06:46 AM

She's 24 years old. Why not cut back her grain or hay intake?
Horses are meant and made to graze all day.

iridehorses 03-20-2010 06:49 AM

Last fall I acquired 2 minis for a friend and put them in a small grassy paddock to keep them separated from the horses for a time. Within 2 weeks, the grass was gone and never came back.

One horse on a 1/4 acre will keep the grass from ever having to be worried about. However, if your grass grows quicker then you like, put a second horse in there for a short time.

White Foot 03-20-2010 06:51 AM

xD I have a solution, why don't you just bring them to my house? We can't grow grass!