The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   Any other Classical Musicians? (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/any-other-classical-musicians-50466/)

Tyler 03-19-2010 09:32 PM

Any other Classical Musicians?

I'm just curious how many other classical musicians there are on here. :)

I play the cello and love, love, love string quartet music (mostly Beethoven), which probably comes about from my playing in a string quartet (cygnetstrings.wordpress.com). I also enjoy playing Bach's Six Cello Suites.

Jake and Dai 03-19-2010 10:49 PM

I'm not a musician (anymore) but grew up surrounded by classical music...baroque mostly. My father listened to nothing else so I have a deep appreciation for it...especially Handel. Though I believe Pachebel's Canon in D, when played by an orchestra and not used in a silly commercial, is the most heartbreakingly beautiful piece ever written. I am also a big fan of Vivaldi. :-)

Cheshire 03-26-2010 05:42 PM

I'm a cello performance major. :D

Internet bro fist!

I'm a fan of Beethoven's piano trios, as well as his cello sonatas. I'm going through a bit of a Mahler stage right now though...his first symphony is quite interesting.

And not classical (most of the time), but certainly cello related...Apocalyptica.

I love them.

:P

Tyler 03-26-2010 06:51 PM

Cool! How long have you played?

lol! I had to look up "Internet bro fist" to see what you were talking about... that's sad. so what would my reply to that be? Would I say "internet bro fist" back to you?

Beethoven is one of my favorite composers. I could listen to (not to mention play) his works all day. :)

Cheshire 03-26-2010 07:44 PM

Haha, no worries...I don't think there is a proper reply. I've been playing for just over five years, so a bit behind most of my competition but I've been auditioning for conservatories and such. However, I'm thinking at this point I will stick to getting my bachelor's at the local university and then go to a conservatory to get polished off for the master's...which also means I don't have to leave my horses in a hurry. ;)

What about you? I see you are in a quartet...cool beans. I'd love to hook up with a smaller group one of these days. Do you play at weddings much? What other composers do you find groovy? :D

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 08:14 PM

I play the violin in my school's Symphonic Orchestra. We're pretty much the best HS orchestra in the state according to our music educator's association :D

Tyler 03-26-2010 08:25 PM

@Cheshire: *sigh of relief* That's good to know. =)

Cool!

I've been playing just over 8 years.Never really done any competitions, though. I've played in several youth symphonies (we played Carmen Opera, Aida, and the such).

Yeah! We've been together for about 2 1/2 years. We've played a couple weddings, but we mostly do free concerts at nursing homes. Occasionally we get a paying job at a nature park, or something. We've played Beethoven (String Quartet Op. 18 no. 2, final movement, and no. 4 first movement), Mozart, and various other composers. Beethoven's at the top of our list, though. =) I personally like quartet better than orchestra.

@eventerdrew: Cool! What all have you played?

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 08:45 PM

oh man. We've played a variety of pieces. A lot of Vivaldi, Beethoven, Bach. We've played some stuff by the Turtle Island String Quartet, Stravinsky (Firebird suite), Grieg, Bruch, Brahms, Meyer and more.

Right now we are playing a Concerto Grosso by Grieg, a concerto by Vivaldi, Danse Infernal from the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky, and Hungarian Dance by Brahms.

Tyler 03-26-2010 09:54 PM

Very cool! I've played the Hungarian Dance before. That's a fun one! :)

How long have you played?

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 10:34 PM

I've played for about 6, going on 7 years. It's great :D I love playing.