The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Buying vs. building (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/buying-vs-building-50475/)

kmdstar 03-19-2010 09:52 PM

Buying vs. building

I'm very curious about buying a house with a barn vs. buying a house and building a barn.

Which would you prefer to do? Is it worth it to have a barn built so you can have it how you want, or would you rather just adapt to the barn that came with the house?

I'm looking at modular barns and really like quite a few of them, but the thing that's got me wondering is foundation/water/electricity set up costs. :shock: Anyone care to share if they had to pay those costs, an estimate of how much they were? (I know it depends where you are, etc. but I'd like to get an idea)

Honeysuga 03-19-2010 11:26 PM

I would think it cheaper to just buy a house with an existing barn on the property. Sure it might not be exactly what you want, but you can always change it up a bit over time. Plus you don't have to deal with zoning, grading, leveling, contractors, and all that crap.

maura 03-20-2010 08:06 AM

Exactly what HoneySuga said.

Building custom from scratch is much, much more expensive.

jimmy 03-20-2010 10:32 AM

i,d agree with the other posts, unless you can build it all yourself,buying is always cheaper then building,and like its already been said you can build on adapt ,change an existing building

MuleWrangler 03-20-2010 12:28 PM

We bought a property with a house and barn and the barn was actually exactly what we had wanted! So you might just get lucky and not have to worry about adapting much.

I also echo the "buy not build" sentiment of the previous posters. You save SO much money and hassle that way!

Good luck finding what you need!

churumbeque 03-26-2010 04:56 PM

I think it would depend on your budget and what is for sale where you want to live.

AlabamaHorseMom 03-26-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 580939)
I would think it cheaper to just buy a house with an existing barn on the property. Sure it might not be exactly what you want, but you can always change it up a bit over time. Plus you don't have to deal with zoning, grading, leveling, contractors, and all that crap.

AGREED! From personal experience.

We are in the process of building our barn on our property now..and let me tell you...it SUCKS!

There is soooo much more involved than just throwing the poles up.

I just keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end... :?

hillarymorganstovall 03-27-2010 09:35 PM

I agree its probably cheaper, but I would rather build... I'm moving soon and am going to be building a barn later this year or next and am soooo excited. But my I am having my house built this summer so, I guess thats just me..