The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How big is too big ?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-big-too-big-50507/)

horseybean 03-20-2010 05:58 PM

How big is too big ??

hi there im new and i have a serious concern for a horse down the road from my yard!

he is a cob - about 15 hands

he has a very obiese rider and every time he is ridden i feel he is in complete agony due to all the weigth on his back!!

Shall i call the RSPCA ?? x

please help - i need opinions xx

TwisterRush 03-20-2010 06:28 PM

i don't think there is much problem, inless the horse has some medical condition, also may i ask that you use smaller text and change the color, it really hurts the eyes and makes it difficult to read.

Anyway's i think you have nothing to worry about, and if you called the RSPCA, they will probably laugh at you.

I also think that this is offending to overweight riders. Im just saying that just because the horse is 15 HH, and the rider is overweight doesn't mean that the horse is in agony or pain.
I know alot of 'overweight' riders and they are perfectly fine... these animals have strong backs and are large, considering he is a cob also.

Horses can pull carts and wagons also, just going to say again, you don't have anything to worry about.... most likely i dont see a problem with it.

Kayty 03-20-2010 07:03 PM

Unless he's an extremely finely built little pony with not much bone to his legs, I wouldn't be worrying at all. Ponies ad cobs are SO tough and they can carry more weight relative to their size than a lot of draught horses. I have a 13.2hh welsh pony who is reasonably solid, and she quite happily carries a 100+kg man.

Calling the RSPCA is un necessary and I highly doubt they will take any action. If the horse is in good condition and his back is not being inverted, then they have no interest.

Honeysuga 03-20-2010 07:06 PM

This is one of those rare cases where I will say it really is not your business to do anything. Whether or not you feel the rider is to heavy does not matter in the least.

Marielw 03-20-2010 10:33 PM

Wow ... great replies. I am a 'larger' rider. I ride a horse who is about 18 years old and is 15 or 16 hh. I have been assured that she can carry me and she had proven she can carry me up hills, down hills, in the ring. I've been told if a horse can pack an elk out of the woods ... I have no need to worry about a horse carrying me.

Frankly, I do find the post offensive ... in several ways. The conent and the size and color of the font. Stop yelling, please.

NorthernMama 03-20-2010 11:56 PM

Too big is any font size over 14. Keep it black with proper capitals in a reasonable size please.

As for the horse's situation, I agree with the previous posters. There are 'way too many issues that come into play here for anyone to make a judgement from the road. Not your place to butt in, IMO.

jamesqf 03-21-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 581518)
Too big is any font size over 14. Keep it black with proper capitals in a reasonable size please.

Excuse the digression, but with any decent browser, the viewer can control the size, color, and just about everything else about the way text is displayed. On my system, a 14 point font is too small for me to read comfortably, so I specify all normal text as 16 point. I prefer white text on a black background, and disallow various cutsie things like blinking text...

kmdstar 03-21-2010 02:05 AM

While I'm not an overweight rider I still find this pretty offensive. :-|

If you called...anyone on this matter, as someone else said, I'm sure you'll get laughed at. It really isn't your business and I know if I was that horses owner I would be beyond angry about you talking about calling RSPCA or even thinking this is anything to concern you.

whiskeynoo 03-21-2010 06:41 AM

i got to agree on what everyones saying here, horses are sturdy animals and we're originally used as pack animals, so it shows they can carry a great deal.

ptvintage 03-21-2010 10:17 AM

I find your post offensive as well. And not just because of the huge red text.

We used to ride up on my horse double, that's almost 300 lbs on her back, she was 15.1... I bet you wouldn't feel like the horse was in agony over that.

It may not look right to you, but it's really not your business.