The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Update on animal cruelty? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-animal-cruelty-50541/)

White Foot 03-21-2010 08:59 AM

Update on animal cruelty?

I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about the horses that lived down the road from me? http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...-animal-43489/

I called animal cruelty and after talking to the guy for about an hour he asked me where I lived and then informed me that they don't have an animal cruelty officer or anything for the county I live in. He told me to call the local police, I did and they never got back to me -- I feel like even if they did they wouldn't know what is cruel or what to look for. Correct me if I'm wrong but they haven't been trained in looking at sick animals, have they?

He has five horses that you can clearly see on four of them that they have no meat on their bones. He has them in a tiny corral made out of wood that he cut down from trees and looks like tied together with baleing twine. They have already been out in the road before and that is very dangerous. Could you imagine if someone was coming over that hill only to see that there is a horse and hits it? and one of them (heaven forbid) dies? They do have hay, it's a huge round bale. Though, it takes up almost all of their room they have. They have no shelter now that their tarp fell down.

He also has cats all over the house, and dogs that always play in the road. NYS law says that animals have to have access to fresh water, food and shelter.

Normally I mind my own business but this has been eating away at me. D;

iridehorses 03-21-2010 09:04 AM

Have you tried the SPCA?

speedy da fish 03-21-2010 09:28 AM

i think you are doing the right thing. Just keep at the authorities, take some pictures/videos if you havnt already and record any weird things going on- like the horses escaping, dogs in road etc, good luck.

Peggysue 03-21-2010 10:22 AM

All else fails call the news station in your area and get them involed... TV, Paper whatever it takes

HalfPass 03-21-2010 08:16 PM

I agree with Iride...
Try calling the SPCA..
I remember the thread and I am surprised no one ever checked on them.!
Any way at all to sneak a picture? Not necessaarliy for us but for the proper organization...
hp

chika1235 03-21-2010 09:00 PM

wow! tennessee is pretty good with keeping animal cruelty down but there is a place down the road from me that has emaciated dogs,cats,and children in it! the house the kids live in is fallin apart.the dogs look like they never ate, and their place is cluttered with junk. i think someone called the animal control because i dont see the dogs anymore and i see the kids every once in a while.

SmoothTrails 03-21-2010 09:05 PM

I would say continue to call the police. If they refuse to do anything and it is clear that laws are being broken call a news station. Let the police know you are calling the news station as well. Either they will come out before or after the news breaks at that point. Be sure that you can prove to the news station that laws are being broken and go from there.

kitten_Val 03-21-2010 09:12 PM

Some people just should not own horses... or pets... or even kids. It's really ridiculous that authorities refuse to help you! I'd get local news stations involved. Good luck and keep us posting!

Honeysuga 03-21-2010 11:09 PM

Best way to do it is to nag nag nag until they finally go out and take a look. Tell them if they will do nothing you are going to the news stations to see what they have to say about the whole matter. Make sure to take pictures yourself in case he tries something funny.

White Foot 03-22-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 581702)
Have you tried the SPCA?

Yeah, we don't have one for our county.