The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Switching from Western to English? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/switching-western-english-50545/)

Equus_girl 03-21-2010 11:54 AM

Switching from Western to English?

The mare I'm getting in a couple days has been ridden western all her life. She's done a lot of trails and that kind of riding. And she is 18 years old. I have taken a lot of English lessons and am more experienced at that style of riding, however I have no problem getting a western saddle and riding her the way she's been ridden. I'm not going to be competing with her anyways - just riding for my own pleasure - and to help her lose weight! lol!

But there are some people that think I should ride English since I've been trained that way. They told me that it is not that hard to retrain a horse to English and they will just follow what you tell them to do. Is this true?

I'm really wondering, because when I went up to see her and ride her, I had contact on her mouth (thinking english) but she started backing up because she is used to no pressure on her mouth with the western riding. I really don't want to confuse her - especially at 18 years old. I'm thinking of in the future getting a younger horse, maybe between 2 and 3 years old and training it English. But Berdi certainly is a Western horse and has been all her life.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

thunderhooves 03-21-2010 12:56 PM

I'd stick with western and get some more western lessons. At 18, she should be really broke......in western. The wonders of a western horse that well trained is that you can just haave them on a losser rein and with asking to stop or back up, just pull on the reins, and soem even know the voice commands for that.
So I'd say stick with western. Maybe you'll even do some fun days with her this summer(pole bending, keyhole,etc.)?
Congrats and Good Luck!

Equus_girl 03-22-2010 09:14 AM

Thanks so much! I really think I should stick with western too. I like how I don't have to have pressure on her mouth to get her to turn, stop, ect. She is a very well trained horse and I wouldn't want to confuse her!

Tasia 03-23-2010 11:32 PM

I try english can't hurt.Out of curosity how collected does she stay when ridden western?