The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shiny Coat/No Winter Coat help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shiny-coat-no-winter-coat-help-5057/)

BriLeigh 01-03-2008 06:29 PM

Shiny Coat/No Winter Coat help

I have a 11 year old TB mare. I do a lot of dressage in the winter and she gets really hairy. She wears a blanket almost all the time, I usually don't stall her much. I have heard that if your horse is under light for 16 hours with a blanket it will help to prevent their winter coats from coming in.

if anyone knows anything about this or has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.
I'm not sure when the put under the light or really anything about it.
YIKES!

tim 01-03-2008 08:50 PM

Re: Shiny Coat/No Winter Coat help

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriLeigh
I have heard that if your horse is under light for 16 hours with a blanket it will help to prevent their winter coats from coming in.

It does. Horses have receptors in their eyes that tell them when the days get longer and shorter. Thats how their coats know when to grow and shed. If the days are long year round, there will be no coat.

The blanket is mostly just for warmpth.

Make sure you don't keep them under lights for too long every day as they will sometimes decide that the light in the summer is shorter than the light you provide them with in the winter. This results in a winter coat in the summer.

I think I did 13 hours in winter, 16 in summer (but check me on that as I can't remember exactly). I did it a few years with my horse when I was doing more showing during his fuzzy time.

I suggest a heat lamp on his stall connected to one of those outlet timers that allow you to set when it comes on and off. Set it to come on before it gets dark and stay on for a while after dark. Then set it to come on before sunrise. Oh, and get a big heat lamp.

buckaroo2010 01-03-2008 11:15 PM

What I have always been told was if you wanted to get rid of a winter coat is just to keep them blanketed :) or after you ride them when u untack put the blanket on them sould losen the hair

tim 01-04-2008 12:11 AM

nah ya need lights. At least for a perfect natural shedding.

buckaroo2010 01-04-2008 12:20 AM

If you did it useing lights tho wouldult you ahvea VERY expensive light bill?

I Love Lane 01-04-2008 12:41 AM

You do need lights if you want a perfect coat. if you are looking for just a neat shortish coat just blankets are fine but everything Tim posted is correct.

We have our barn lights on a timer - on at 5am off at 8pm all year round. We always have super shiney show coats and it is really the only way to go for a PICTURE PERFECT coat :lol:

buckaroo2010 01-04-2008 12:46 AM

how would you do ths though if you boarded your horse somewhere?

I Love Lane 01-04-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
how would you do ths though if you boarded your horse somewhere?

you can put up a portable heat lamp in the corner like Tim suggested and put it on a timer. The barn may require you to pay a little extra for the power though :D

buckaroo2010 01-04-2008 12:59 AM

ok thanks i can see what i can do :)

I Love Lane 01-04-2008 01:13 AM

no worries :wink: