The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Calling all ApHC members (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/calling-all-aphc-members-50576/)

WhiskeyGirl 03-21-2010 06:12 PM

Calling all ApHC members

what are some great breeds to breed your appy stud to??? and what do you think about your appy?:D

kassierae 03-23-2010 12:27 PM

Personally I think Appaloosas should stick to breeding with Appaloosas and a select few Quarter Horses(Mr. Ice Te, drooooool) or that throw nice Appaloosa babies. And I happen to think that my Appaloosa gelding is the most awesomest thing ever.

dantexeventer 03-24-2010 01:29 PM

I used to show ApHC and I was always gobsmacked at the lack of COLOR. The rings were full of what looked like Thoroughbreds or QHs! I would love to see Appies go back to what they were - the foundation types.
However, (and this is a BIG, BIG however) breeding solely for color is worse. There is so much science and analysis in breeding - bloodlines need to be analyzed for potential use of the baby, conformation needs to good to a fault, there needs to be a big market for baby if the need to sell should arise. With the color breeds, there's a big divide - there are a lot of ok-conformed solid horses, and terribly conformed colored horses. There are a handful of 'ideals,' and that needs to be worked towards again.
/Rant over! :) As far as specific sires, I'm not really familiar with a lot of them, I'm afraid. And that rant wasn't directed at you - I'm sure you're not a krazy kolor breeder, as Fugly Blog would say haha!

kassierae 03-25-2010 03:02 AM

No no, not a krazy kolor breeder lol. Not a breeder at all, yet. I fully intend to try and produce well bred, well conformed, COLORED appies, when I get into it. To add to my earlier statement, I think the only way an Appaloosa mare should be bred to anything solid is if she has already proven to throw color. That way you get the cross you want, with the color you want. I love foundation Appies, but I also like the more refined ones as well. My guy is somewhere inbetween, and I think he's perfect.

WhiskeyGirl 03-25-2010 05:34 PM

O my mare will definately throw color, and the father has the cream gene. Im potentially looking at the stud Hollywood Maverick. If i can get some pictures ill post. But droollll Hollywood Maverick is gorgeous. His momma is a Qh/Appy mare, registered. She normally throws blanket palomino appys when crossed with Maverick.

Eastowest 03-26-2010 08:53 AM

My Appaloosa stallion has proven to cross really nicely on Thoroughbred mares. His foals from TB mares are nice movers and have been successful in the ApHC show ring and also open/USEF events in-hand and jumping (and they seem to be maturing 16.2 to 16.3+ tall, which is a bonus.)

Breeding for movement/talent first is certainly the priority, but since he has sired 100% color, and from his looks and sire record appears to be homozygous for LP, that takes some of the worry about making more solids out of the equation, and makes me more willing to breed solid App or approved breed non-app mares.

This will be my first foal crop from him (others were bred by his previous owner) and I have babies coling from two TB mares (both mares now owned by H/J facility) and 4 Appaloosa mares (3 of which are solid... the first of which is due any time.)

WhiskeyGirl 03-27-2010 06:51 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Here is Hollywood Maverick, he is the cremello. And the mare is the sorrel. I know he will produce a palomino with her, its just ive never owned a Appy before, what are most of their personalities like? and with a QH?

dantexeventer 03-28-2010 10:02 PM

Hollywood Maverick is quite pretty, but he has some conformational faults that you'll want to take into account. In that first picture his stance is almost laminitic - I'm sure it's just the effect of the picture, but he's definitely sickle-hocked. He also has a long back and is croup high, which makes it hard for the horse to strengthen the back and engage. He'll be able to ride around with his head down but he'll be on the forehand. His hind end in general looks weak. He's also upright in his hind hooves (or at least the one closest to the camera), maybe even a club-foot. He does have some nice qualities, but I'm of the opinion that a horse should be as close to perfect as possible before it's bred haha!

kassierae 03-29-2010 01:00 PM

^That. And as far as personalities, breed really has little to do with it. It's all about the individual horse, IMO. Appaloosa's can tend to be stubborn, but very willing partners.

WhiskeyGirl 03-29-2010 09:15 PM

Actually these pics do Mav no justice. Ive seen him in person and he is the closest to perfect i have seen. He has many wins in ApHC for halter and western pleasure. Meaning he has to be very well built comformation wise. And also many wins in Hunter under saddle in AQHA. Soooo like i said the pics do him no justice, i do agree tho. the pics make him look very unsound. But his owner is kinda weird. she sets her horses up weird. haha. but thats all.