The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   New to riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/new-riding-50611/)

Sammy123 03-21-2010 10:08 PM

New to riding

I was wondering can you learn how to ride English in a Western saddle?

twh 03-22-2010 01:57 AM

If you want to learn English saddle, it is best to take English saddle lessons. If you want to learn Western, take lessons for Western saddle.

SorrelHorse 03-22-2010 02:34 AM

Agreed. English is a lot differant than western as far as seat and such goes. The saddles are differant and each require differant positions and differant ques depending on what you want to do. There are some english things restricted in a western saddle and vice versa.

Two differant styles, two differant saddles, two differant ways to ride.

Sammy123 03-22-2010 09:52 AM

My daugther (8) started taking riding lesson about 6 weeks ago, and I want her to learn english, but everytime I we go to have our lesson, the riding teacher has the horse tacked up in western saddle, so I asked her why and she told me that the Western saddle would be more stable to sit on. It just seems odd to me.

justsambam08 03-22-2010 12:17 PM

In the beginning, it doesn't matter much what saddle you use, the basics of learning how to sit on a horse and balance yourself, how to steer, stop, back, cue a gait change, etc are all the same. Once you get a handle on the basics, then you can start looking at disciplines like English and Western. English saddles are harder to sit on and to find your center of balance in, but if you generally know how to do it (from sitting in the western saddle) its much easier.

Sammy123 03-22-2010 01:08 PM

Ok...thank you so much

ptvintage 03-23-2010 12:36 PM

The bare basics are the same, but I find it weird that she would do that. It makes much more sense to just start kids in an english saddle if that's how they want to ride. What's going to happen when she finally switches? The kid will be scared because they've been relying on the crutch of the western saddle. So they'll basically have to learn how to sit all over again. They should be learning balance from the very beginning, they shouldn't be given anything that makes them just a passenger on a horse. That's why some stables start kids out bareback, so they can learn to balance with the horse without the interference of the saddle.

Seems like a lot of wasted lessons to me.

Also: If this was a situation where it was the only saddle available, I could see using a western saddle. But if you are paying for ENGLISH lessons, it should be on an english saddle. That's what was advertised and offered, it's absurd it would be western.

SilverSpur 03-25-2010 05:37 AM

basics may be the same. but IMO if you want to learn english you need to be in an english saddle. vice vesa.

Sammy123 03-25-2010 08:36 AM

Thank you som much for all the great advice. We had riding lesson's today. Im going to tell her I want my daughter to learn on an english saddle.

Speed Racer 03-25-2010 09:26 AM

Yep, if you want your daughter to learn to ride a balanced English seat, she needs to learn in an English saddle.

The seat positions are completely different for Western and English. I exhaust myself trying to get into a 'proper' English position every time I ride in a Western saddle. I don't enjoy myself, and feel awkward as heck!

If your daughter needs a little help in the balancing department, they do make grab straps that hook onto English saddles. No reason for your little one to ride Western if she doesn't want to.