The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Teeth Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/teeth-help-50630/)

welshies rule 03-22-2010 05:16 AM

Teeth Help

Hi guys wondering if you could give me some opinions on this.

BUT before I start

THE VET IS COMING OUT TOMORROW
Just to get that out of the way

As some of you may know I have a rising 4 yr old welsh cob gelding. At the moment he has a small swelling on the side of his mouth which was about the size of a walnut, I left it for 2 or three days and just kept an eye on it as he was eating with no bother and was quite happy to let me touch it from the outside.

The swelling felt soft with a harder lump in the center so my thoughts were

a) kick in the mouth?
b) wolf tooth?
c) both?
d) wolf tooth coming in wrong?

Since then though the swelling has gone down approx 40% but there is still a hard lump.

I opened his mouth and had a look/feel and his gum looked slightly swollen but Im not sure what a healthy wolf tooth should feel like.

Any advice??

kitten_Val 03-22-2010 08:31 AM

I'm not gonna guess here, but my both horses had wolf teeth (one even 2 of them), and they didn't have any bumps or anything. I'll be curious to see what vet will say about it.

welshies rule 03-22-2010 09:41 AM

I've got to be honest I'm really nervous. I've obv not had a bit in his mouth since I found it as I dont know whether it will agravate it and to be honest I don't want to take the chance.

Do you want me to keep you posted?

LoverofHorses 03-22-2010 09:42 AM

yes please!

welshies rule 03-22-2010 09:45 AM

Hey Lover of, do u have any ideas???

(Starting to panic mildly)

justsambam08 03-22-2010 09:59 AM

Does his breath smell bad? (Horse breath usually smells sweet) If it smells bad, that might mean an infection. I would say he was probably just kicked in the mouth. If he was happy to let you poke and prod it from the inside and outside and the swelling has gone down without any intervention from you, he should be okay.

welshies rule 03-22-2010 10:04 AM

well at the moment just garlicky!

seriously though this may sound daft but I never checked, just didnt think of it. I will do when I head back up the yard later though.

As I say the spongy part of the swelling has gone but there is still a harder lump....I hope I'm worrying about nothing.....Joys of a youngster

Thank you

masatisan 03-22-2010 05:55 PM

I went to see my horse one day and his entire left side jawbone was rock hard and swollen an extra two inches out in some spots. I quickly asked my barn owner what I should do, Was he in pain? Should I call the vet? Would it go away?

He told me (because the swelling was so hard) that it was probably a permanent thing, and that his bone was probably displaced. He said I could just leave it and live with a funny-faced-horse, or I could have a (very expensive) surgery to correct it, not that there would be a point, other than aesthetics.

So I left it, and lo and behold, when I went to visit him a week later it was completely gone!

tealamutt 03-22-2010 11:04 PM

Horse's jaws do some amazing things when they are growing, there are often odd swellings, hard or soft, and they change pretty dramatically especially around the three year old teeth coming in. The fact that it isn't sore to him and is getting smaller suggests there is no big cause for concern, I'd just have it checked which you already said you're doing! Relax! Babies can be so stressful huh?!

welshies rule 03-23-2010 08:06 AM

well guys vet due out in about an hour and thanx for all you replies!

tealamut - I do hope your right!

masatisan - hope he dont end up with a lumpy face and thank god your horse was ok!

will get back on here later and let u know whats happening. hope im just being a stressfull mammy