The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Horse Slaughter Ban- Worldwide (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/horse-slaughter-ban-worldwide-50650/)

FlightFireNurse 03-22-2010 11:59 AM

Horse Slaughter Ban- Worldwide

Hello all,

I have been raised around horsed my entire life and showed when I was younger. My mother is a volunteer for the USERL and we have a great passion for horses.

I am a student and I have to write a paper arguing a topic of my choice.

I have chosen to argue that horse slaughter should be banned worldwide. Other than the obvious reasons, I am looking for other reasons and thought you guys could help me out a little more.

Thank you in advance!

-FFN

kevinshorses 03-22-2010 12:13 PM

I completely disagree and if you did a little research you would realize what the problems would be. Horses are not pets in many areas of the world and are used for food because hungry people don't generaly waste hundreds of pounds of meat and there are alot of hungry people in the world. Enviromentaly it would be a disaster. Here in teh U.S. there are nearly 10 million horses and the lack of slaughter facilities is causing some enviromental concerns due to the difficulty and expense to bury an animal the size of a horse. There is also no entity that can enforce a world wide ban and that's a good thing.

Since the bleeding hearts have managed to shut down horse processing in the US there have been hundreds of horses abandoned around the country. In the west they are dumped on public land and in the east they are dumped at state parks and along roads where they often get hit by cars or starve.

It's a bad idea and it would be impossible to enforce even if it was a good idea. Think with your head and not your heart and you will see reality.

mls 03-22-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlightFireNurse (Post 582833)
I have chosen to argue that horse slaughter should be banned worldwide. Other than the obvious reasons, I am looking for other reasons and thought you guys could help me out a little more.

What are the obvious reasons? Can't say I was aware of any.

FlightFireNurse 03-22-2010 12:18 PM

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you Kevinshorses!

Any other opinions?

Tina 03-22-2010 12:25 PM

I am from Canada and here horses are still shipped out for slaughter. I don't necessarily agree with the method in which it is conducted however agree with the concept for the following reasons. I have been to numerous auctions where extremely aggressive, old and sick horses stand and wait to be driven through. I would really rather watch these animals be put down than continue a life of unfairness or suffering. I compare this idea to the idea of any other animal. A vet can go and put an animal down for any owner for any reason. However this is an expensive method plus one has to deal with the body afterwards. I would much rather see the animals be used for meat than dig a hole and have wild dogs and such eating at it later.

The loss of any animal is tragic but it's a part of life. Afterall when is the last time you ate a steak or a hamburger? Everything has a purpose in life, some of it is just harder to deal with when you have a passion for it.

FlightFireNurse 03-22-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 582844)
What are the obvious reasons? Can't say I was aware of any.

Really? So they slaughter them in a humane way? I seriously doubt that.

The key to this, as everything from mental health and other major problems of the world is to prevent the problem in the first place. Prevention is always cheaper than dealing with the end results.

mls 03-22-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlightFireNurse (Post 582856)

The key to this, as everything from mental health and other major problems of the world is to prevent the problem in the first place. Prevention is always cheaper than dealing with the end results.

The United States cannot control what other countries do. In the states - yes the plants were run humanely.

I believe in slaughter as a humane alternative to a starved/abused/abandonded horse.

ridergirl23 03-22-2010 12:31 PM

I dont think it should be banned. that just means theres more starving, abused horses, that would have been put down, but no, someone had to ban slaughtering so now they are just suffering. I wish they all did it in a humane way. but if people banned it worldwide then like kevin said, Enviromentaly it would be a disaster.

FlightFireNurse 03-22-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 582862)
I dont think it should be banned. that just means theres more starving, abused horses, that would have been put down, but no, someone had to ban slaughtering so now they are just suffering. I wish they all did it in a humane way. but if people banned it worldwide then like kevin said, Enviromentaly it would be a disaster.

Thanks Ridergirl23!

Beautiful horse in your avatar! :-)

kevinshorses 03-22-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlightFireNurse (Post 582856)

Most horses in large plants are killed by captive bolt which is very very humane. Have you done any research about horse slaughter that didn't involve youtube or PETA? If you want to write a good paper then you need to have both sides of the issue.