The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   symptoms of a sick horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/symptoms-sick-horse-50702/)

dreamrideredc 03-22-2010 09:30 PM

symptoms of a sick horse?

Hi guys!

Just looking for some tell tale signs of a sick horse and the average temp range of a healthy horse.

My guy has been breathing sort of hard and his nose is kind of runny, but my guess is that it is simply allergies. It just started recently, a little over a month (basically once it started getting warmer) , so I'm not too concerned. He is quite spazzy when riding, and he is MORE than willing to eat :wink:

Also wondering...do horses know when a plant is poisonous for them? I've always wondered this out of curiosity. Let's say there is a poisonous plant or some kind of bug spray on a plant, do they know to stay away from it? I figured they would due to instinct and how the horses in the wild would react, but I'm certainly no expert.

My Beau 03-22-2010 11:56 PM

They generally avoid plants that are toxic, but if there is no other food source available they will eat them. I don't know about plants that have been sprayed, but I'm assuming they would smell different and the horse would not eat it.

dreamrideredc 03-23-2010 08:26 PM

Thank you!

Anyone else out there?

PaintHorseMares 03-23-2010 10:14 PM

The biggest signs are not eating or drinking, so if your horse is eating and drinking, I wouldn't worry.
As far as plants, as My Beau said, they will generally avoid them unless they have nothing else to eat and start foraging for food. There are exceptions, though, e.g. red maple leaves in the fall, so you do want to keep an out for plants poisonous to horses.
....and I've never seen a horse that would eat anything that smelled like bug spray.
Allergies and eye irritations are common this time of year.
Normal body temperature is 99 - 101 F.
The pulse rate of an adult horse at rest averages 30-40 beats per minute.
The average respiration rate of an adult horse at rest is 8-15 breaths per minute

WSArabians 03-24-2010 11:26 AM

Hmm. It's pretty broad.

Lack of energy.
Listless eyes.
Raise in body temp.
Strained breathing.
Head down with runny nose.
Not eating/drinking.
Depression.
Completely change in attitude.
Long, "sick" looking coat.
Long stance(like a Navicular one).
Colour of mucas membranes around the eyes or gums. Should be a healthy pink colour, pressed till go white and return to pink colour within seconds.
Red/blackish or Yellowish colour will indicate serious problems.

dreamrideredc 03-24-2010 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone!

Painthorse - very helpful, all good to know! He is more than willing to eat, so no worries there. I suppose if I start to worry I can always take his temp. =]

PaintHorseMares 03-24-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 584968)
Thanks everyone!

Painthorse - very helpful, all good to know! He is more than willing to eat, so no worries there. I suppose if I start to worry I can always take his temp. =]

Here's a chart you can print as reference...

http://special.equisearch.com/pdfs/VitalSignsChart.pdf

dreamrideredc 03-24-2010 06:08 PM

Thanks! ^