The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   How Tall? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-tall-5079/)

koweta 01-04-2008 04:13 PM

How Tall?

Ok so we bought a registered paint mare for my sister to ride almost 2 years ago this May. The owners failed to tell us that she had been bred since they were sure that she didnt take, but they were wrong. So that march she foaled and had a paint colt. We have decided to not geld him because of his good bloodline. We have 6 horses but we were not prepared for a foal. This colt is the first baby we have had around. I personaly want to geld him because of the fact that we had no clue on how to work with any foal especialy a colt. But my family decided to keep him a colt, show in halter and stud him out. So that means im stuck with training him ive trained horses before but i have never had to work with one so young ( the younges ive worked with was a 2yr arabian). The colt who we named Image, is now about an inch short of being as tall as our 7yr old arabian who is 14.3hh but his body is not quite as long yet.
I was just wondering if this the normal height range for a pure paint horse or is he going to be big? I would like to know what im going to be dealing with. I also know im not going to be doing this alone im having my trainer give me a few tips but Image isnt going to hsi barn.
Also lately he has been trying to 'play' with me as I am trying to work with him. Playing im mean rearing up beside me and trying to bite and run around me. But he seems to only do that once i strart to make him actualy think. Other than him playing with me like im another horse he is realy calm. When im not working with him he dosnt even atempt to bite me or anybody. Any sugestions?

BluMagic 01-04-2008 04:15 PM

His height should depend on his parents, I believe. Sounds big though....

koweta 01-04-2008 04:27 PM

the mare was 15.3hh but the stallion was 16hh+

BluMagic 01-04-2008 04:49 PM

Then, I'm thinking around 16hh. But, hey, it depends. I guess all there is to do is wait and see.... 8)

buckaroo2010 01-04-2008 11:58 PM

I agree with blu his is going to be a pretty big horse :)

jazzyrider 01-05-2008 06:29 AM

how tall was he when he was born? they are born at 60% of their adult height. hope this helps you a little :)

buckaroo2010 01-05-2008 01:13 PM

I had no clue about that Jazzy! :)

Jr_lover 01-06-2008 09:48 PM

He will probably be around the 15hh area.

And um i'm sry to say this but i don't think he is playing i think he is trying to get out of doing work. Maybe just an idea you should make him do something harder when he does that.

Cheval 01-06-2008 10:03 PM

You'd probaly have to go way back in his bloodlines, but probaly around 16hh - but you never know, unless you trace the bloodlines. How old is he?

jazzyrider 01-06-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
I had no clue about that Jazzy! :)

ive read that somewhere a couple of times and when i was talking to the breeder we are taking my mare too she said the same thing :) i had never heard it put that way before either