The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Pelham bit... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/pelham-bit-50793/)

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2010 12:17 AM

Pelham bit...

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I can tell im going to get screamed at here.. :?:shock: *braces self for it*

Im getting in to showing a lot more at the moment, and lots of / most 'hackies' ride in double bridles:

Attachment 27907

But my horse would be so pissed if I had two bits in her mouth.. (she has a smallish mouth) and i'd also feel bad.

Ok.. this is where your all going to kill me :lol: I like the look of horses with double bridles. And i think some judges do to. So im thinking rather than having a double bridle on my horse, riding in a pelham.
Attachment 27910

attached with this curb and leather guard:
Attachment 27908Attachment 27909
This is the one I was looking at using for this weekend. Of course id ride her in it before the show and everything but what do you think??

I ride her in a brass loose ring, double jointed snaffle. Usually.

What do you all think?? Am I a horrible person :? for wanting the 'look' of a double bridle in shows?? (Oh and let me just add... of course i'd be riding off the 'snaffle' rein and just holding the curb rein).

thanks for reading.

UnrealJumper 03-24-2010 12:23 AM

Why change the bit if the bit you are using right now is working (even if it is for the judges, if someone said they would score you better points to jump off a cliff would you?) ? If you don't need it then why use it?

justsambam08 03-24-2010 12:25 AM

The only problem I could see would be even if you're just holding the curb rein, the curb would still be engaged because you're holding the reins. I think you should just ride in what you normally do, and if the judges don't like the fact that you can control your horse with one set of reins and one bit, boo on them.

wild_spot 03-24-2010 12:30 AM

^ Not if you have the curb rein just holding the tension.

Where we live you won't get a look in if you aren't in a double or pelham in hack classes. Sad but true. I'm lucky that I show ASH, not hacks, so I just use my snaffle, but if I wanted to do well in the hack ring I would switch to a double or pelham.

Brooke, she will be fine :] But - Do we have any other pelhams? That one has a huge mouthpiece, plus it isn't jointed, so would be a big difference from what she is used to and a heck of a lot of bulk in the mouth. A jointed, thinner, metal pelham would suit better.

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2010 04:23 AM

ok, thanks :) Umm as for a smaller pelham.. i'll have to have a look in the shed tomorrow :) Fingers crossed, but I don't think so.. We do have one, but im thinking it's the 'curb' part of a double, so im thinking in doesn't have the 'snaffle' rings :(

ThatNinjaHorse 03-24-2010 05:21 AM

Ordinarily i'd say definitely not. Theres no need for it, even though a decent amount of people use them anyway. At the last show i was at i was told by a judge "its good to see a horse in a snaffle", i much prefer the look anyway, and if i was judging and it came down to it, would choose a horse in a snaffle over anything with double reins. Theres nothing required in hacking that warrants the use of double reins, sadly its just become fashionable.

If i were you i'd still use a snaffle. A few years ago at pony club i was told i needed a different bit and refused and was one of two who were using snaffles, out of a good hundred or so riders.
If you can ride/your horse works as well as the others, really you shouldnt have a problem.

However there are a good portion of snaffles used in hack classes at ag shows here, so i guess its quite different. Its really up to you...just make sure you practice in the pelham at home first lol.

wild_spot 03-24-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Theres nothing required in hacking that warrants the use of double reins, sadly its just become fashionable.
It's making it's way into the ASH ring as well - They have ASH Hack to be ridden in a curb bit. Which I hate, because I don't want to put Bundy in a curb, but it's one less class I can do. *Sigh*.

We don't really have anyone in the hack rings in snaffles - Breed rings yes, but hack rings no - Maybe one or two ponies with younger riders but that's it. Even in pony club classes at ag shows the doubles get a look in before the snaffles even if the quality of the workout wasn't as good.

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 584958)
It's making it's way into the ASH ring as well - They have ASH Hack to be ridden in a curb bit. Which I hate, because I don't want to put Bundy in a curb, but it's one less class I can do. *Sigh*.

Yeah, I saw that on the program!

Well, do you think she'd be more comfy in the double than the thick pelham??

Im going out to the farm this afternoon, but after 6 to wash her so might see you there but might not, i'll just jump on her bare back for a while in which ever bit im riding in.

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatNinjaHorse (Post 584543)
Theres nothing required in hacking that warrants the use of double reins, sadly its just become fashionable.

Yep, and it's traditional. :shock: Sadly.

wild_spot 03-24-2010 07:30 PM

I ahve to be home by 7 for mum's birthday dinner so you might catch me leaving. I'll have a look through the shed and see if I can find a better bit.

Ive always wondered what they would say if I turned up to the ASH Hack to eb ridden in a curb in a western curb bit - lol!