The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   new diet now shes wired (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/new-diet-now-shes-wired-50794/)

Danjones 03-23-2010 11:34 PM

new diet now shes wired

i started my mare on barly oats pellets which are 50-50 and now she has so much energy i can hardly ride her but shes finally putting on weight along her spine
any one have diet sugestions
current feed is 1 scoop oat-barly pellets am 1 scoop 1 cup rolled oats and supplements pm
and constant supply of hay

Solon 03-24-2010 12:07 AM

Remove the barley oats.

Peggysue 03-24-2010 09:40 AM

she is on a sugar/starch high ... remove the barley/oats and replace with beet pulp or alfalfa pellets close to same calories and lower hot energy. You also need a good source of nutrition either a good vitamin/mineral supplement or a ration balancer.

Free choice hay is a great way to add weight as well

Danjones 03-25-2010 12:52 PM

well she was staved and under fed left in a feild of mud for three months she was 750 lbs when i got her and shes a 15.3 hh standardberd

Peggysue 03-26-2010 09:19 AM

any pics of her??

walkinthewalk 04-03-2010 08:25 AM

You could also consider using an equine rice bran. It is 22% fat and provides cool energy.

Equi-Jewel main

Once the feed change would be made, don't feed any more than the recommended amount on the bag, unless you call the manufacturer.

I started out feeding rice bran to my insulin resistant horse because the I-R made him lose weight. I put my other three on it to keep my life simple and discovered they are all much more laid back and peaceful.

My I-R horse is has been stabile for three years and maintains his weight on 3/4 cup of rice bran daily, along with high quality grass hay and other supplements:-)

If you want to try rice bran and can't get Equi-Jewel in your area, just be sure it is for horses and is stabilized & calcium fortified.

Stabilized so it won't turn rancid; calcium fortified to keep the calcium:phosphorous ratio where it needs to be in the horse:-)

As has already been stated, you would need a good quality vit/min supplement.

Hope this helps:-)