The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Get off my horse. Now. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/get-off-my-horse-now-50842/)

SorrelHorse 03-24-2010 08:38 PM

Get off my horse. Now.

I am absolutely fuming right now.

As some of you know, I've been trying to sell my little draft/pony mare, Honey. So I had this girl come out who seemed really interested. I didn't know much about her but she said she'd done barrel racing, pole bending, and hunter jumper so I just assued she had a little bit of horse sense, if nothing else.

I have never seen someone who shouldn't have a horse more than her.

So it was bad from the start. She called me and said she was coming to see Honey so I went out to catch her. They were all frisky and Annie nearly nailed me with both back legs when I went in there. It took me about ten minutes to get a rope on Honey's neck. They were running like hell all over the place.

So once I had her roped I brought her up just as she pulled in. I didn't realize, but she was sixteen years old. She had her father bring her. I don't want to be mean, but she was wider than the horse and had to be over 300 pounds, and when she got out of the car I thought she was frikkin' thirty five. Dear lord....this horse is 14.2hh, not built for a heavy rider. And the first thing she did was insist on putting her saddle on...which was a very old, cheap western saddle that weighed about as much as I did. So this is about 400 pounds on this poor pony's back. And her shoes were frikkin' black Nike tennis shoes......I didn't want to let her ride....but I wanted to be polite so I said so long as she stayed in the driveway and just did a few circles it would be fine.

So she went to cinch up her saddle and she had a whole bunch of Honey's fur and skin pinched. She completely rapped her cinch and it was a miracle she didn't get kicked. I finally just pushed her off and did it myself. I loosened and gently re-did it, praying that that was the end of her stupidity.

Merf. I wish.

So next, she couldn't claw her way into the saddle. She hung off the side until I finally said "Just come up to truck and slip in the saddle that way."

So we did and Honey cringed when she got on. Then she couldn't figure out how to steer. W T F? You pull on one rein, she turns that way. That was the first bloody thing I learned as a four year old! And she's done pole bending???? How the hell does she run like that???

I finally had to lead her around. After that, she's like "Well I'm not used to steering this way and she's a lot smaller than my Thoroughbreds. She's not that well trained, is she? I bet you haven't worked her in at least two months."

I snapped right then. I snatched her reins and told her to get off. I told her that she couldn't have Honey.

Those of you who know me well know my temper is short. I know I ound really bitchy but I have a low tolerance for ignorance, especially when it's involving my horse's potential new owner. I want to make sure my horse is going to a good home.

Cookies if you read the whole post. My ranting is a little bit extreme today =/

HowClever 03-24-2010 09:03 PM

I say bravo, on telling her where to stick it. Certainly doesn't sound like she was what your horse deserves!

ShutUpJoe 03-24-2010 09:13 PM

Sounds like someone who just wanted a free ride. I hate ignorant people like that, ugh.

gypsygirl 03-24-2010 09:17 PM

thats ridiculous !

charlicata 03-24-2010 09:28 PM

I'm kind of surprised you let her on your horse at all...even if you needed to rehome her right away. Especially after the cinching deal. You're a much nicer person than I would have been!

SorrelHorse 03-24-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlicata (Post 585181)
I'm kind of surprised you let her on your horse at all...even if you needed to rehome her right away. Especially after the cinching deal. You're a much nicer person than I would have been!

Trust me, I almost didn't. I just kinda hoped she'd have a little more sene once she was in the saddle. Hmph.

TheRoughrider21 03-24-2010 09:38 PM

You have more tolerance than I would have. I don't like anybody riding my horses and that even counts for my friend who is experienced with horses, though I don't mind when my trainer rides her. I wouldn't have let her near my horses lol. Sorry you ahd to go through that though! =)

NorthernMama 03-24-2010 10:08 PM

Unbelievable what some people will do. I would not have let her on my horse for sure if she couldn't even tack up properly. You were ubberly forgiving and patient!!

Rowzy 03-24-2010 10:40 PM

Im surprised you had so much patience. I wouldn't have let her on my horse after all that.

Fowl Play 03-24-2010 11:23 PM

I don't know you, and if you hadn't said you had a short temper I would have never known. With all that said, I think you handled that really nicely and it doesn't sound bitchy at all. Actually, you sound very patient. I would have said no to riding since she didn't come in riding apparel (shoes) and I would have also insisted on a helmet just to be a brat at that moment. Had she gotten hurt on your horse on your property, it could have been ugly so I would have been a lot more nasty than you.