The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Switching feeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/switching-feeds-50886/)

btru2yrslf 03-25-2010 11:56 AM

Switching feeds

Hello,
I would like to switch feed for 2 horses that have recently arrived at my barn. They are currently on Equine Senior (the horse is only 10) and Legends sweet (11%). I would like to switch them to a decent quality pellet feed & I am looking for something with no more than 12% protein, around 15% fiber, about 6% fat, and no more than 1500 calories/pound. I am looking to spend no more than about $12/bag. Fortunately, I have access to quite a variety brands, some of which are, Southern States, Purina, Blue Seal, Triple Crown, and Nutrena. Thank you...all information is helpful...even if you can tell me what NOT to feed.

Mercedes 03-25-2010 12:08 PM

The senior is actually a very good feed and while 10 is a bit young to have a horse on it, if that horse has issues digesting and utilizing the same nutrients that older horses do, then it would be a good choice.

You may have to change some of your parameters, but your best bet is to simply have those feed companies send you their product flyers that lists the form, ingredients and nutrient levels. Those flyers also usually include information about the type of horse the food is designed for.

I also question whether both horses will do best on the same feed. I have 5 here at home now and have 4 different grain products because no two horses are the same. So that's another thing to consider.

btru2yrslf 03-25-2010 12:41 PM

OK, let me rephrase the question: What pellet feed are you guys using and what do you like the best??? Looking to see how horses are doing on different types of pellets.

pieinthesky 03-25-2010 01:03 PM

Senior is marketed for old horses, but age shouldnt determine what you feed a horse, unless its related to health issues.

I get can get some crappy feed for $12 a bag. But, I think purena makes a 12 or 10% pellet, its in a green bag, maybe its called horsemans edge. Its probably like $13-14 including tax. I like to feed that kind, if I use pelletes.

Mercedes 03-25-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btru2yrslf (Post 585599)
OK, let me rephrase the question: What pellet feed are you guys using and what do you like the best??? Looking to see how horses are doing on different types of pellets.

I use Purina Senior, Purina Competitive Edge, Purina Integri-T and Purina Elite currently. One of those is not a pellet, but an extruded. All my horses are obviously doing well on what they get or they wouldn't be on it. All feeds have varying nutritional values, and percentages, and I believe every bag is over $12 plus taxes.

I feed what best suits each horse, it's just that simple.

My Beau 03-25-2010 01:42 PM

I pay 13.15/bag for Blue Seal Carb Guard for my 10 year old QH & 17 year old TB.

My yearling is on Blue Seal Contender which I have to order for 12.25/bag.

I LOVE blue seal feeds.
And both of the above feeds are pelleted, but BS also makes sweet & extruded feeds.

Speed Racer 03-25-2010 01:48 PM

I'm using Triple Crown Complete for my horses, and they all look fabulous. I wanted Triple Crown Sport, but my Southern States doesn't carry it.

The cost of TC Complete runs about $16.00/bag. It's a little pricey, but I don't need to feed as much because it's a high quality feed.

TC Complete is textured as opposed to being truly pelleted, but it's enough like pelleted to not make that much of a difference.

btru2yrslf 03-25-2010 06:07 PM

Yes, I agree you feed what the individual horse needs...that is why I am doing research for these particular 2. All of the feedback was very helpful. Equine senior yields great results and I feed it as well, however, when you do a nutritional analysis of the product it lacks quite a bit, like amino acids. Reading the specs...it makes you wonder exactly which ingredients are conducive to weight since it is low in calories (1225) and low in fat (5.5) while it is relatively high in fiber (17) and protein (14). It surprised me that it is so low in calories.

heyycutter 03-25-2010 06:34 PM

i feed Nutrena Safechoice and Purina Ultium, and they both work well

Mercedes 03-25-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btru2yrslf (Post 585855)
Yes, I agree you feed what the individual horse needs...that is why I am doing research for these particular 2. All of the feedback was very helpful. Equine senior yields great results and I feed it as well, however, when you do a nutritional analysis of the product it lacks quite a bit, like amino acids. Reading the specs...it makes you wonder exactly which ingredients are conducive to weight since it is low in calories (1225) and low in fat (5.5) while it is relatively high in fiber (17) and protein (14). It surprised me that it is so low in calories.

It's not calories an older individual needs. It's things like the B vitamins which the body no longer processes as well. Look at old 'people'...they tend to eat much less than younger people. They don't need the 'energy', they need the 'nutrients'.