The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   About to Adopt a Racehorse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/about-adopt-racehorse-50912/)

ImALittleFish 03-25-2010 05:45 PM

About to Adopt a Racehorse

Is there anything I should know? I know it will probably be a good long time before he is ok to ride-I'm ok with that. I've done research on how to train them and what they need to be taught. Can anyone think of anything I might need to know?

I used to hot walk for him when he was first at the track as a two year old...he's 5 and doesn't have the spirit for racing. I know and trust the trainer and know he is sound and hasn't had any major health issues.

Some questions I have are:

1. Should he be weaned off track-food or can he make a quicker switch?
2. Any tips on introducing him to a herd of about 8 other horses?
3. Should he be allowed to go right out with other horses or kept in a stall and taken out more and more frequently until he is used to being outside all the time?
4. Would it be easier to start riding it english or just go straight to western which is what I plan to do eventually?
5. How high are his chance for colicking because of the move?

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

CharliGirl 03-25-2010 05:51 PM

Congratulations on your new TB! :)

4. If you want to ride him western, start with western. With a new set of tack, along with new training, may help him to differentiate the two disciplines.

Mercedes 03-25-2010 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=ImALittleFish;585828]
Some questions I have are:

1. Should he be weaned off track-food or can he make a quicker switch?

I'd take him off all grain for at least a month. Let him come down from the high and switch over to a full forage diet, and then make my grain choice after seeing the results.

2. Any tips on introducing him to a herd of about 8 other horses?
3. Should he be allowed to go right out with other horses or kept in a stall and taken out more and more frequently until he is used to being outside all the time?

I actually quarantine my horses for at least 30 days...for obvious reasons. But I also like to use the time to get them to bond to me. You run a high risk of him bonding to another horse and creating a whole other host of issues if you buddy him up right away.

I would turn him out solo in a small paddock and decide from there.

4. Would it be easier to start riding it english or just go straight to western which is what I plan to do eventually?

Shouldn't make a difference. He's had a saddle and rider on him before.

5. How high are his chance for colicking because of the move?

Who's to say? Does he have a history of colic or other digestive upsets?

ImALittleFish 03-25-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 585839)
Who's to say? Does he have a history of colic or other digestive upsets?

I've just heard it was a problem for some horses when they make a big move. He's never had colic before.

What should I watch out for with over-bonding? He is fully vaccinated as are all the horses at the barn but he will be in his own paddock for a while when he first comes.

Mercedes 03-25-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImALittleFish (Post 585874)
I've just heard it was a problem for some horses when they make a big move. He's never had colic before.

Don't sweat it then. If he has no history, then I'm sure the added stress will be handled by him, since he's already in a high stress environment.

You're in TO...how big a move is it going to be? Aren't you just getting him Woodbine or Fort Erie?

Just watch him for the few days, makes sure he drinks etc...

Quote:

What should I watch out for with over-bonding?
You'll know. LOL! He'll be hard to catch, he'll scream for the horses, his attention will be back at the field or barn...etc...

Quote:

He is fully vaccinated as are all the horses at the barn but he will be in his own paddock for a while when he first comes.
Doesn't matter. Stress suppresses the auto-immune system and the horse becomes more susceptible to bugs around the new barn that the current horses are capable of fighting. This especially becomes an issue if the horse is coming from a different part of the country, where pathogens can be of different varieties/strains. Two weeks of quarantine is usually enough. I run a very closed herd so I go the extra two weeks.

ImALittleFish 03-26-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 585921)
You're in TO...how big a move is it going to be? Aren't you just getting him Woodbine or Fort Erie?

I am getting him from Woodbine. The farm is in Tottenham, so it will be less than an hour drive. Are you familiar with the area? I meant "big move" as in lifestyle adjustment, I guess, compared to distance.

I guess I've never seen an over bonded horse before. I hope I don't have to anytime soon!

Mercedes 03-26-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImALittleFish (Post 586335)
I am getting him from Woodbine. The farm is in Tottenham, so it will be less than an hour drive. Are you familiar with the area? I meant "big move" as in lifestyle adjustment, I guess, compared to distance.

I guess I've never seen an over bonded horse before. I hope I don't have to anytime soon!

Yes, know the area well.

Ah, yes, but the environment he's going to is far less stressful. It may take him a bit to learn how to be a horse, but he should find things more agreeable.

Good luck!