The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bucking Non Stop! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bucking-non-stop-5097/)

CambriaStables 01-05-2008 08:27 PM

Bucking Non Stop!

Ok so just recently within this past week and a half my 6 year old gelding that im leasing is either being a brat or he is seriously in pain. everytime i go to ride him he stops stands still and bucks bucks bucks and does these little rear things. i have no clue whats wrong with him. ive been using the same saddle on him for the past 2 years that i have been leasing him so i dont think its that. but i asked my trainer and she tried helping me. i used spurs, dressage whip, regualar crop. hes not very good with lunging either but i did that and he does these little things where he will run directly at you then run away and he bucks out like crazy. i use a long lunge whip when i lunge him but that still doesnt seem to help. im almost at the end of my rope with him and its really starting to get annoying. idk what else to do. hes very tempermental to begin with but this just seemed like it was out of the blue. He did have a week off for christmas considering i was very busy and he wasnt used. Someone at the barn said that i might want to have the chiropracter come out and look at him. Does that seem like it would be a good idea?? Also what else could i do to get him out of this habbit?? I need help with this desperatly.... if anyone has any ideas or any critique if im doing something wrong.. please please please let me know. it would be great. but right now hes at the point where he wont even move forward. please help!! thanks

buckaroo2010 01-05-2008 08:59 PM

im not sure why he is acting this way but is there anyway you could disangage his hip when he does that and tell him no? thats what i usually do when my horse has his points

CambriaStables 01-05-2008 09:07 PM

Im not exactly sure if i understand what you mean by disangage his hip. Could you explain please??? Thanks!

GallopAway 01-05-2008 09:10 PM

Rule out pain first. It might be a good idea to get him checked out, just in case.

But if it's just him being a snot...

I'd go back to ground work. If you don't have respect on the ground, you probably won't get it in the saddle.

Does he charge at you in an agressive way when you lunge him?

Quote:

Im not exactly sure if i understand what you mean by disangage his hip.
Basically just throw him off balance, get his hind legs crossing over each other. [I think, lol.] A horse can't buck/rear is he's doing some nose-to-knee circles. :wink:

CambriaStables 01-05-2008 09:16 PM

ok. ill definiatly ask my trainer(owner of him) if she thinks he should be checked out by the vet. and yes he does charge at me in a very agressive way and he gives me that look like back off i dont wanna do this. he pins his ears and grinds his teeth. and what kind of ground work should i do? sorry i ask a lot of questions ahah. and alright i think i can do the tight circle things or knock him off balance a little bit. that might work.

GallopAway 01-05-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CambriaStables
ok. ill definiatly ask my trainer(owner of him) if she thinks he should be checked out by the vet. and yes he does charge at me in a very agressive way and he gives me that look like back off i dont wanna do this. he pins his ears and grinds his teeth. and what kind of ground work should i do? sorry i ask a lot of questions ahah. and alright i think i can do the tight circle things or knock him off balance a little bit. that might work.

Lunging, leading, ground driving, that sort of thing.

I would NOT put up with an agressive gesture like that. Better to stop it now before it gets worse.

My gelding used to rear up and strike out at me when I frist tried to lunge him. I gave him a whack on the shoulder with my lunge whip when he did that and firm, loud, "stop!", and he quit pretty fast. I didn't beat him with it, just a whack to make him realize he's NOT the dominant one over me and he's NOT going to be agressive towards me.

CambriaStables 01-05-2008 09:29 PM

ok i could try all that stuff. thanks a ton for all of your replies.. i really really appreciate it!

buckaroo2010 01-05-2008 09:35 PM

yeah disangaging his hip is were you turn him in a really tight circle so where his back legss cross over like he is side passin but you go ina circle and not side ways

CambriaStables 01-05-2008 09:36 PM

ok. i tried that a few times but didnt really work as planned. but i will definiatly try again thanks!!

buckaroo2010 01-05-2008 09:55 PM

yeah you judt have to make sure u get him tight in the circle..hope something works :)