The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cost of Vaccines? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cost-vaccines-50990/)

Clementine 03-26-2010 02:27 PM

Cost of Vaccines?

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it's "health" related, so hopefully this counts. I'm just trying to figure out how much I can expect to pay for my horse's vaccines. He's the first horse I've had (ridden for years, but on lesson horses), and so I've never gotten the fun treat of paying vet bills before. LOL.

Anyway, he's due for his Potomac Horse Fever & Rabies, and needs blue drawn for Coggins. There won't be any kind of visit fee, because the vet is coming for a lot of horses at the stable. Any idea how much I can count on paying for this?

Also, I'm going to have them look at his feet, as he has had thrush that I can't get to go away - it will go away for a week, and then come back, in a fun on-again, off-again cycle. I've tried lots of different things on it, with mostly the same effect - it goes away, and then comes back. So anyway, I'm not sure what they'll do for that - is there anyone who has had experience with this sort of veterinary expense, that can let me know how freakishly expensive that will be too?

Obviously, I don't care how much it costs - I'll plop down as many $$$ as it takes to make my horse healthy and happy, but I'm buying a lot of equipment in the meantime, and I want to have an idea of how much I should leave in my account for the vet (+ an additional $100 just in case there are any surprises.)

justsambam08 03-26-2010 04:10 PM

Usually, the vaccines are relatively cheap--maybe 30 dollars at most per shot. The trip charge is where they get you.

However, I usually do my own vaccines. You can get them from most online stores/catalogs, and for CHEAP--maybe 5 dollars a shot, and then of course theres a 20 dollar shipping charge for two or three day air. But, the more vaccines you get (like if you order for a bunch of people at your barn) it does end up being cheaper.

Clementine 03-26-2010 07:56 PM

Thanks for replying! I wish I could give vaccines myself, but to be honest, I have a bit of a needle phobia, and can barely stand to watch other people give them vaccines - it actually makes me feel nauseous.

RadHenry09 03-26-2010 08:09 PM

Not sure if your vet does this or not but the vet that I have been using charges a flat fee of 25.00 just to pull in the drive way ..He has split it up with other owners when he is coming to do a barn full which is nice since it is only a couple of dollars. Last year to get spring shots /coggins for my daughters horse it cost well over 100.00 , also had to get a CVI form several times which he charges $25/each time =ouch!
I normally dont take my other horse off the farm but this year I think he will venture out so I am getting coggins drawn on both. I know I will be looking at a pretty big bill.

PaintHorseMares 03-26-2010 08:49 PM

We give our own shots, but the vets in this area charge roughly $18/shot, $25 for Coggins, and $45 to look at your horse (like your thrush problem).

skittle1120 03-26-2010 09:18 PM

My local Tractor Supply sells 5-way vacs for $24.95 per dose, and I give them myself... Its a lot easier and cheaper then trying to schedule an appointment with the vet...

DaraT 03-26-2010 10:41 PM

Vaccines vary in cost around the country. The best thing to do is call the vet's office that will be coming to the barn and ask for their prices. They can also tell you what shots are recommend for your area. This way you will know exactly what the costs will be for the shots & the Coggins test.

Clementine 03-27-2010 11:03 PM

So, today I noticed something fun. The shots that Jazz is due for are not the only ones. Those ones were due a couple months ago. And then I thought there were more that he'd need next month, but as it turns out, he was due 3/14/10, not 4/14/10 like I thought he was! Jazz is just a lease, so I have to get him all of these vaccines:
  • Flu
  • Rhinopneumonitis
  • Tetanus
  • West Niles
  • Eastern/Western Encephaloymelitis
  • Strangles
  • Potomac Horse Fever
  • Rabies
Plus blood drawn for the coggins. Isn't there a limit as to how many vaccines your horse can get in one day? This is not going to be fun to pay for...