The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What about this one? (jumper/hunter) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-about-one-jumper-hunter-51012/)

Jordan S 03-26-2010 06:03 PM

What about this one? (jumper/hunter)

hi again, I asked about that gelding the other day and since you guys said I could do better and I found another horse that has sparked some interest.

REDUCED! Dressage/Jumper/Eventer - Beautiful 8 yr 17.3 Gelding - Training 4th Level, Jumping Prelim. | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

also it says half percheron, a draft horse, which I find a bit odd, thoughts on that, does that matter.

EventersBabe 03-26-2010 06:08 PM

Hes really cute. I like him a lot. Really its your choice. I liked the last horse as well. half percheron? hmm I have no idea..

ShezaCharmer 03-26-2010 06:13 PM

Seems like a nice sound horse. Try him out and see how it goes. The price seems accurate and that tells me that he shouldn't have any bad habits. Go for it!

gypsygirl 03-26-2010 06:31 PM

cute ! he looks like a really fun horse !

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 06:51 PM

I really, really like him. Don't let the draft cross part throw you off. If he is doing that level successfully, then it's obviously not an issue for him. His price seems appropriate for a horse that has done that level in so many disciplines.

masatisan 03-26-2010 07:12 PM

Percharon/TB crosses are fairly common, it's a good cross that produces that "warmblood type" without having to pay through the nose for a "real warmblood". They get substance from the perch, and athleticism from the TB.

dantexeventer 03-26-2010 07:48 PM

I'm curious as to why he's so cheap. (Not that 17k is cheap, but you know what I mean) All the Prelim horses that I've come across with potential to move up have been at least 35k, same with dressage horses about to break FEI. He looks nice, but make sure you get a thorough vetting if you decide to buy him.

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 07:57 PM

^ people have a bad stereotype against draft crosses. I don't think anyone would pay that for a draft cross honestly. It bugs me that there is a stereotype at all, but it's true.

masatisan 03-26-2010 08:06 PM

Like I said, people cross Perch/TBs to get the "warmblood type". They're athletic and capable, just they don't have the "Pedigree" to hit the ground at 20 000$. He isn't expensive because he isn't a true "warmblood" If he was, he'd easily be marketable at double or triple his current asking price.

eventerdrew 03-26-2010 08:10 PM

^ exactly. I honestly think it's a little silly. if the horse has the potential, he has the potential. But this is coming from someone who is very defensive when it comes to draft crosses ( I own one)