The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Why does my goat keep itching? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/why-does-my-goat-keep-itching-51113/)

Brianna6432 03-28-2010 07:52 AM

Why does my goat keep itching?

When we first got him in right before the snow hit he was walking back and forth, under my horse's water bucket which scratched his back. During the snow, he had almost no scratching issue. Now all the snow has melted and I've noticed he's itching again. It started yesterday when I was in my room. I heard something rubbing against the wall to my room, outside that is. I looked out my window and saw my goat walking back and forth, rubbing his sides against the wall. He would rub his side against it, turn around and walk back to rub his other side against it. I then noticed he was in his dog kennel ( we don't keep him in it, it's just in his stall filled with straw for extra warmth ). He was halfway out and his back was touching the edge of the kennel. He started rocking back and forth to itch himself. He's also been using his foot to scratch.
Why is my goat scratching so much??

Indyhorse 03-28-2010 09:29 AM

Goats shed out their winter coat, just like horses, and can get itchy from it, it might just be as simple as that. However, if I remember correctly, you had some concerns about ringworm with your goat last fall, if that hasn't been treated completely, he might still be itching from that. Make sure the ringworm is cleared up, check his skin to make sure he doesn't have any other seeming irritation (red or flaky patches) and if there isn't any, try just giving him a couple good brushings.

airraeme 03-28-2010 10:44 AM

That is how our goats shed out. They rub themselves up and down the fence.

Brianna6432 03-28-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 587996)
Goats shed out their winter coat, just like horses, and can get itchy from it, it might just be as simple as that. However, if I remember correctly, you had some concerns about ringworm with your goat last fall, if that hasn't been treated completely, he might still be itching from that. Make sure the ringworm is cleared up, check his skin to make sure he doesn't have any other seeming irritation (red or flaky patches) and if there isn't any, try just giving him a couple good brushings.

Oh! Thanks! And, you're right. He did have the ringworm :? I'll check to make sure it's gone. I'm almost sure it is though, I've been petting him like crazy and I'm fine now. But I'll check! I also wasn't aware it's itchy to shed their winter coat. I'll brush him. Thanks again! :D

Broski1984 05-31-2010 04:24 PM

Goats shed; goats get itchy. A healthy, happy goat scratches regularly.