The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Oh, when will the shedding end? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/oh-when-will-shedding-end-51115/)

Mickey4793 03-28-2010 08:18 AM

Oh, when will the shedding end?

I had my boy blanketed all winter and he still seems to have grown and impressive coat!

He's been shedding for almost 2 months now, making huge piles of fur every brushing session! Oh it's such a hassle, the hair gets all over the saddle pad, girth, and saddle, all over my clothes! The shedding blade does nothing to help our situation!

So I wanted to hear from you guys, when do your horses generally stop their shedding?

MaggiStar 03-28-2010 08:48 AM

my horse was in a really heavy weight rug from september and is still in it now but my good she doesnt half shed it gets everywhere in your mouth under your clothes its awful!! she has been shedding a week now and it doesnt look to be ending any time soon!! hopefully in 2 weeks it should be finished you have had it really long though!

RedTree 03-28-2010 08:55 AM

my boy is only started growing his winter coat :(
cant wait for summer again

PaintHorseMares 03-28-2010 09:16 AM

It was unusually cold here this winter and our mares just started their shedding about a week ago. Normally it takes them about 2 months to fully shed out.

Sunny 03-28-2010 12:11 PM

Sunny has been shedding for at least a month, and she doesn't seem like she has too much left to go! :]]
Posted via Mobile Device

DocsDaniGirl 03-28-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTree (Post 587976)
my boy is only started growing his winter coat :(
cant wait for summer again

Haha...when I read this, I was like '?????:shock:!'. Then I saw you're from Australia.

And it seems that my guy is almost done with his shedding, thank goodness! Hang in there folks, the end is nigh.

PaintsPwn 03-28-2010 01:34 PM

Cowboy never grew a winter coat D8 So he had a blanket all winter. Thankfully it didn't get cold enough to layer two blankets (had to do that last year!!!)

Everyone else did, and everyone is shedding. Party time, EXCELLENT!

Sissimut-icehestar 03-28-2010 01:44 PM

It has been unusually warm here, my horse started shedding in late January and still has a way to go.. x(

QHDragon 03-28-2010 03:46 PM

I was just complaining about this. My horse is gray and it seems everywhere I look there is gray hair. He is done shedding on his shoulders and neck for the most part, but he is still shedding on his barrel and rump. I am so ready for him to be sleek and shiny everywhere!

Dogorman08 03-28-2010 04:12 PM

my horse just started shedding about a week ago!! . .. its so annoying!!!! hair EVERYWHERE!!!