The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   whiskers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/whiskers-51118/)

MaggiStar 03-28-2010 08:57 AM

whiskers

Ok so yesterday i saw a really awful thing done to a horses whiskers for show season. the owner was pulling out all her horses whiskers around the nose then BURNING where she pulled to stop them growing back all over her poor horses face has anyone ever heard of this being done before is it the usual practice?

Seahorseys 03-28-2010 10:58 AM

From what I know, you saw someone trying to singe their horse. There are very few proper singeing lamps left to do this properly and controlled. The idea is that during the winter, horses are clipped (to prevent them from sweating and getting wet and cold) At the end of January beginning of February, clipping is usually stopped, to allow the Summer coat grow in. However, little stray hairs (commonly known as cat hairs) can grown along the belly, legs, and face. The singeing lamp was used to burn these of and create a look of a uniform, smooth, shiny coat. Most horses don't mind a bit, they like the warmth, but like I said, the singeing lamp is a proper grooming tool. The fire is controlled by a damper, and there is a fine comb attached to the lamp as a guard/guide of sorts.

As far as pulling the whiskers, I would imagine it is uncomfortable or bothersome to the horse (it may very well not be) but that is done because if you've noticed with clipping, the whiskers grow back at the same rate, so you get that five o'clock shadow look. Pulling them causing the hair to grow back differently, at either faster or slower rates.

If you think that's weird, you should look into banging the horse - which is another old technique used in grooming.

Seahorseys 03-28-2010 11:21 AM

Here's the video on "strapping" AKA "banging"

How To Strap Your Horse (Sports & Outdoors: Horse Riding)

MaggiStar 03-28-2010 12:24 PM

o we actually do that with our horses works really well you should try it!!

Seahorseys 03-28-2010 10:07 PM

Hah, I'm contemplating it, I think it would compliment the work her equine chiropractor does. :)

RadHenry09 03-28-2010 10:43 PM

WOW , I have never seen or heard of that "strapping" AKA "banging" before.

ThatNinjaHorse 03-28-2010 10:57 PM

pulling them out?
never heard of that.
It would be easier/quicker/kinder for the horse to use a horse razor..

Idle 03-29-2010 06:17 PM

I have never heard about strapping a horse. It seems like it'd work, I'd just be afraid of hitting my horse a bit too hard. D:

~*~anebel~*~ 03-29-2010 09:17 PM

I know a horse and he loooooves getting his whiskers pulled. Every time he is stressed, the owner just starts pulling on them.

About the strapping - that's an oooold practice. It's great for muscle building and I do it on my horse.

MN Tigerstripes 03-29-2010 09:43 PM

Interesting... Wonder if Soda would like that (banging not the whisker pulling).