The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Your worst fall? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/your-worst-fall-51152/)

Sunny 03-28-2010 08:46 PM

Your worst fall?

I thought this would be an interesting subject! Let's talk about those nasty falls! I have fallen numerous times, but most were the plain Jane kind. My worst fall took place on my 14th birthday while my friend and I were riding two horses that I exercised for my uncle. We were galloping along the fenceline, which happened to be constructed of barbed wire. All of a sudden, I was hanging from the fence upside down, while my friend was yelling some innappropriate words in a scared voice. XP I untangled my clothes and sat down on my bruised tailbone, and realized that I had 4 long gashes along my side from the barbs, and was bleeding quite heavily. What went wrong? I was riding western, and the leather attatched to the D-ring broke, causing myself and my saddle to fly off the horse. It was 100% my fault for not checking my tack. I still have the scars over 2 years later. Now let's hear your stories! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 03-28-2010 09:21 PM

I apologize for not posting this in the right section! X(
Posted via Mobile Device

whiskeynoo 03-29-2010 07:05 PM

mines is probably when i was 12, i was cantering bout on whiskey in the field and i was in my own little world and never noticed the oncoming spiky tree branch, naturally whiskey fit right under it while i was sent flying off the back, dad was at the other side of the field and he says he even heard me hit the ground XD i lay there for a bit wondering what the hell happened. i had managed to cut my arm open on the tree branch just below the elbow and bruise the old tail bone im now 18 and you can still see the faint mark it left.

as you can imagine im super cautious when it comes to trees haha.
also i can remember a time where me and my friend were going through the woods and she decided to canter up a hill to catch up...unfortunately there was trees right at the top, i noticed her horse next to me riderless so i turned to see if she was ok and here she was hanging on to a tree branch :P

ridergirl23 03-29-2010 07:55 PM

haha well, my worst fall was yesturday, even though it wasnt bad at all, i got up after, But rena bucked me off because me and my friends were racing, and i lost my balance and was sorta out of place and she bucked me right off because she didnt like that! Haha silly horse, i went right over her head.

haha can we share funniest falls too? because once i was riding p.d. bareack on the trail and there was a dead tree branch (a huge one!) hanging off a tree, naturally i lifted it up to ride under it, well! it flopped back down and hooked my hood, without me noticing, until my horse walked on and i was left there hanging from the branch!!!!!!! hahaha it was really funny cuz it happened in slow motion because we were walking, and while i was sliding off p.d.'s back i was like: " no no no no no awwwww" haha

eventerdrew 03-29-2010 09:38 PM

In the beginning of 2008, I was at Uma's second cross country schooling since she was 3 (so it had been a couple of years). For Uma, the second time around is always more difficult. Don't ask me why. haha. We were coming to a jump and I steered her wrong, got in at a funky angle, and like any horse with a bit of self-preservation, she refused. I landed on her left side, she skittered away but I was still holding the reins. She tried to come forward to me like a good pony and my nose met her knee. It was NASTY.

whiskeynoo 03-30-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 589226)
it happened in slow motion because we were walking, and while i was sliding off p.d.'s back i was like: " no no no no no awwwww" haha

i well laughed cause i got an image in my head :D beware of the trees they creep up on you

horsegirl15 03-30-2010 04:21 PM

I've only fallen off once in my 2 years of riding but my fall was really embrassing. I was riding a horse named gus at my barns anual show and we were doing a ride a buck class where you ride bareback and try to keep hold of a dollar with your legs. Gus loves to jump and the arena was set up for the ground pole jumps next. We were trotting and he wanted to go over the jumps, i didnt want him to.(since this was our first time trotting bareback) So instead of listening to me he starts to go over the poles and drops his shoulder so i go sliding off the side of him in front of 40 people! then he proceeds to trot off and look back at me wondering why im on the ground. He is such a funny horse. he knew what he was doing the whole time. Im sure im going to have a worse fall sometime though ;)

maura 03-30-2010 04:26 PM

Let's see - very large draft X man's heavyweight field hunter spooks and bolts while I'm riding cross country; straightens his head and neck against my pulley rein and tries to jump the pasture fence, badly, and flips over. I dive off of him when I feel him get hung in the fence, and do a three point landing on the heels of my hands and right cheek bone. Shattered both arms halfway up my forearm, badly concussed, hairline fracture of right cheekbone. Helmet undoubtably saved my life.

Beau Baby 03-30-2010 06:14 PM

my worst fall was when I was 11 or 12. We were breaking in our gelding{POA} and I was the only one to fit him and had the best bond so i got to ride. We were in our corral and it has a lean too in it for the horses shelter. We were working on him moving forward and we let him go wherever as long as he moved. He went inside and I was trying to get him out when he spooked. Not sure why. He flew out of there bucking and rearing and spinning around. I held on for a good amount but then slid off. He stepped on my lower back. He's only 700lbs but hell it hurt. Got right back on after though.

I'm turning 16 and to this day I can't do the plank{abbs exercise} or stuff that puts an extreme amount of pressure on my lower back.

ponycrazy 03-30-2010 09:41 PM

I don't have a bad fall but I have a funny one! It was my very first fall, and still is my only fall, (it happend last week) . I was in my lesson, and was learning the quarter line for a show coming up. Randomly the boarded horse I ride spooked! He spooked to the right, so naturally, I fell to the left. I had some kind of self-protective instinct going on, and I knew I was going to fall off, and so I pulled my feet out of the stirrups half way off the horse, and pushed off the saddle, and landed on my feet with reigns in hand. It was a nasty spook, and could have ended VERY badly, like broken shoulder, if I hadn't landed on my feet. But if you hadn't seen me fall, you would have thought I was just holding my horse, because I still had the reigns in hands. It went from the people watching gasping in horror, to laughing, because it was so random! lol

I believe that I do have very good self-pretective insticts, because I have had some really close falls, and HORRIBLE spooks, but some how manage to stay on, and take back all control of the horse. I don't understand it, people always would say "what were you thinking when you saved that" and I honestly don't know. I don't think bout anything, it just comes naturally. I don't understand, I am only 12, and I have been riding for a short amount of time, and have saved things that seems like I have done it 10,000 times before. But this was the first time I had actually gotten off the horse, but have had worse spooks, and problems.

Anyone else feel this way, or have the same experiences,
ponycrazy