The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Getting mud off legs?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/getting-mud-off-legs-51160/)

VintageMatch 03-28-2010 11:04 PM

Getting mud off legs??

Just wondering what are your favorite techniques for getting mud of your horses legs?? I was thinking of clipping the hair down short so that they wouldn't be as muddy but I didn't want her to get anything from having little hair on her legs??

Thanks, muddy horse owner. :D

jazzyrider 03-28-2010 11:16 PM

depends on the weather. nothing is better than a good hosing :) or a bucket full of warm water and shampoo and a sponge and scrub scrub scrub :) the soapy water and a sponge works wonders :)

if its cold though i generally dont worry about it other than a good brushing. if the need arises ill hose their legs. even in winter it doesnt get really cold here so a hosing is ok in most instances.

Peetz 03-28-2010 11:21 PM

I hose mine off when they are still wet. Before they head to the barn for the night if they have been in the mud. Way simpler than getting the dryed stuff off.

VintageMatch 03-28-2010 11:31 PM

Thanks for the tips :) I can't rinse her legs every night as she is stabled a half hour away but when it gets a little warmer I can soap them down.

CJ82Sky 03-29-2010 12:56 AM

crisco to grease their legs works great after they are cleaned off. it keeps the sin soft and the mud from sticking!

Rule of Reason 03-29-2010 03:14 PM

A grooming glove is my tool of choice.

equiniphile 03-29-2010 03:23 PM

You usually have to wait until mud dries to get it off if it's too cold to hose them down. In the mud season I just let their legs stay muddy until summer comes, when I'll give them all a good wash-down a few times during the summer and early fall.