The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New Barrel Saddle....Help me find a cheap one? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-barrel-saddle-help-me-find-51198/)

SorrelHorse 03-29-2010 03:32 PM

New Barrel Saddle....Help me find a cheap one?

Okay, so I just traded my really good, comfortable, lightweight barrel saddle to get my new Gelding. I don't regret it but I need a new barrel saddle before show season. I adore my reining saddle but it's not supportive enough for me to be running in, and besides it doesn't fit Rebel very well.

So Rebel has pretty narrow whithers, and I ride in a 15'' or 14'' saddle. I'd like to find one with a nice deep purple seat to match my theme colors, but it really doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be some amazing saddle hand-crafted by so-and-so, it just has to be cheap. I'm selling Honey for $400 so around that price area, give or take a hundred or two. I don't care so long as the cantle is high enough for me to really sit and turn in.

Any suggestiosn on brands or makes-and-models? I've been surfing around on Ebay and keeping an eye out at the local used tack shop but I figure I'd better post something here too so I can get suggestions from other barrel racers as well. :D

SorrelHorse 03-29-2010 03:37 PM

I really like this saddle, but its hard to tell online if its going to be worth it or not. Definately looks like it'll take some work to break in. But I don't know...

Tackwholesale.com : Quality Tack & Equestrian Supplies : Tahoe Ostrich Print Star Trail Saddle - USA Leather [19-1220]

Maybe this one....?

Ozark Saddle King Of Texas The Sweetheart Purple Barrel Racing Saddle 1433 - www.Scruggsfarm.com

SouthernTrails 03-29-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 588892)
I really like this saddle, but its hard to tell online if its going to be worth it or not. Definately looks like it'll take some work to break in. But I don't know...

Tackwholesale.com : Quality Tack & Equestrian Supplies : Tahoe Ostrich Print Star Trail Saddle - USA Leather [19-1220]

Maybe this one....?

Ozark Saddle King Of Texas The Sweetheart Purple Barrel Racing Saddle 1433 - www.Scruggsfarm.com

Definitely NO on the Tahoe

The Ozark is at least Made in the USA, they are OK, just basic models.

Have you looked for a used Billy Cook, Circle Y or something ?

Gidget 03-29-2010 04:41 PM

billy cook and circle Y is going to be out of her money spending limit. They can be very pricey. I like the Ozark one but a definite no on the tahoe as well. It's in my opinion..tacky. You want something eye catching but in a good way :P

You might want to come down and take a look at cowboy corral or the horse blanket.

dynamite. 03-29-2010 04:44 PM

I have heard horrible things about both those brands, but I know that Dakota makes a decent cheaper barrel saddle. You can usually get one used for around $500.

SorrelHorse 03-30-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 588948)
billy cook and circle Y is going to be out of her money spending limit. They can be very pricey. I like the Ozark one but a definite no on the tahoe as well. It's in my opinion..tacky. You want something eye catching but in a good way :P

You might want to come down and take a look at cowboy corral or the horse blanket.

Horse blanket is where I normally go but it's gone so far up in price it's terrible. Cowboy corral, too. With this economy it's hard to get a cheap saddle 'cause the tack shops need more cash so they want to sell for more.

ilovemyquarter 07-31-2011 05:52 PM

I am looking for a barrel saddle as well and i cannot find a cheap one. 500 is quite pricey for a saddle. I really NEED one but its hard to find a good store. I use chicksaddlery.com for most of my tack but their saddles are pricey for me. Maybe you will find one you like. BEST OF LUCK

Hooves 07-31-2011 08:16 PM

Cheap Barrel Racing Saddles

:)

equiniphile 07-31-2011 11:10 PM

For that price range, I would rather look for a used but good name saddle than a cheap new one. Here's a few I found quickly on Ebay:

14 - 15" CUSTOM WESTERN BARREL RACING SADDLE | eBay
Circle Y Barrel/Pleasure saddle, 15"/Arab Tree, Maple | eBay
15 inch Double T Barrel Saddle - eBay (item 120755895010 end time Aug-03-11 18:34:07 PDT)
Billy Cook 15" barrel saddle | eBay

GallopingGrape 08-02-2011 02:30 PM

You can have this one for $650. Gorgeous, deep seat and fully tooled Dakota.
15" Dakota Pleasure/ Barrel, Semi Qtr Bars