The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Would you ever have expected... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/would-you-ever-have-expected-51199/)

aspin231 03-29-2010 02:42 PM

Would you ever have expected...

2 Attachment(s)
...such a change in conformation?

I got Whiskey in October of 2008. Here's the best conformation picture I have of him then:
Attachment 28252

And now, March of 2010:
Attachment 28253

He was 9 when I got him, so that makes him 10 1/2 y/o now I suppose.

Isn't that a huge change though?

WSArabians 03-31-2010 01:37 AM

Holy wow!, I'd say!
He's getting a bum! And a neck and shoulders!
And fat!
He looks a hundred times better than he did before! Awesome job! :)

aspin231 03-31-2010 11:04 PM

Also, when I got him he was 14.3hh, now he's 15.2hh.

He weighed 900, now weighs 1200.

And get this-
He wore a 71" blanket. Now he wears a 78"!

Much prettier now.

kassierae 04-01-2010 02:52 AM

Just wanted to say that at that age he probably didn't grow any taller, just filled out. And his conformation didn't change, because bone structure does not change with age. He does look fantastic though, and you have done an excellent job of putting weight/muscle on him. :)

Honeysuga 04-01-2010 02:56 AM

If he went from 14.3 to 15.2, I would say he got taller, that is almost a hands difference... He looks lovely!

Kayty 04-01-2010 04:54 AM

Very interesting about the height. Was he measured with a measuring stick on a flat, level surface with no shoes/with the same thickness shoes both times you measured him?
As you're horse must be very strange to have grown almost a hand as a 9-10 year old. The larger rug can be easily explained by the increase in condition, as the horse gets broader the rug is going to 'shorten' in comparison. My new boy is only 16.1h and quite compact length wise, but wears a 6'6 rug where as my last 16.1h tb who was much leaner than Hugo wore a 5'9 rug. Weight does make a lot of difference in the fit of a rug.
Also as Kassierae said, he hasn't changed in conformation, simply in condition. Once a horse matures at around 6 depending on the breed, their bone structure does not change. That's like saying a 30 year old adult who is 5'4 suddenly sprouts up to 5'6 in a year and suddenly develops super long legs and smaller feet. It just doesn't happen. They can develop muscle though to the point where they appear to have 'changed conformation'. Just as a weedy little teenage boy can go out and be a body builder.
In saying that, he has improved beautifully in condition. I am not sure what the intention of this thread is though, do you want us to critique his conformation (this is a critique thread) or just to pat your back and say well done you fed your horse?

Ariat164 04-01-2010 11:43 AM

idk if its the angle of the photo but to me he looks like his feet are trimmed at all different angles, which isnt exactley good for him lol

paintsrule 04-01-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariat164 (Post 592437)
idk if its the angle of the photo but to me he looks like his feet are trimmed at all different angles, which isnt exactley good for him lol

Looks to me like hes wearing bell boots on his front feet...that could be what you are seeing. :wink:

aspin231 04-01-2010 05:50 PM

Yes, wearing bell boots and he does toe out in the front.

He was sticked properly for height, both times barefoot, as I don't shoe him.

And his feet weren't in good condition when I got him, in the first pic.

And I thought he shouldn't have groen three inches at that age either which is why it baffled me. His age is just what I was told he was, and I don't have any papers or anything, though supposedly he was registered.
Any ideas on how to track down papers?

Kayty 04-02-2010 02:48 AM

is he branded or microchipped? Do you know sire/dam or any previous owners that could lead you back to a breeder? The only way he could have grown physically is if he actually is younger than what you were told. At 9 years old a horse does not grow taller. What breed is he? He doesn't look like a heavy breed, I'm guessing he's a tb? Tb's mature height wise at around 3-5 depending on the horse. But definitely no later than 6-7.