The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   HELP! (English-western horse and rider) (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/help-english-western-horse-rider-51282/)

Angel5000 03-30-2010 01:08 PM

HELP! (English-western horse and rider)

HElP me and my horse are werstern riders and my mom signed me up for jumping in english i don't know crap about english but im willing to learn. if you have any adivce please tell me it will be much aprecitated.

CecilliaB 03-30-2010 01:15 PM

What do you mean she signed you up? Are you going to be taking lessons?

PBritton2U 03-30-2010 01:42 PM

I agree...please clarify. It sounds like your mom decided to enter you in some fence classes at a show and you don't know how to jump. If so--ack!--it's not as 'easy' as it looks. Now, if it's a cross-rail class, and your horse is trained to do trail, you might (emphasis on MIGHT) be okay. If not, I say scratch the class.

If, however, she signed you up for lessons, I say go for it. What you'll learn over fences will help you become a better rider. But I sure hope you'll be using a school horse. Some so-called trainers will put a beginning rider on an equally green horse (so they can learn together! Like...yeah, that makes sense!) The result is a disaster. Just take care.

Pamela Britton-Baer

White Foot 03-30-2010 01:51 PM

English and western are very similar..

Angel5000 03-30-2010 01:53 PM

srry bout the confusion im talking about 4H!

Scoutrider 03-30-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel5000 (Post 589892)
srry bout the confusion im talking about 4H!

4-H showing, project, or a clinic/lessons? If you're showing in a jumping class without any experience jumping, I say scratch the class and look into some lessons if you are interested in jumping. If you're signed up for your project year as English/jumping, I'd advise switching back to Western for this year and taking some English lessons, maybe showing English in some small open shows for experience if you're up to it, then signing up next year for English performance project (or whatever it's called in your state).

Angel5000 03-30-2010 02:24 PM

Thanks for your advice ill remmemeber it thanks

White Foot 03-30-2010 02:35 PM

Well if it's a 4-h class you won't be jumping things extraordinarily high, probably poles... I would take lessons until your 4-H class? or show?

Scoutrider 03-30-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Foot (Post 589947)
Well if it's a 4-h class you won't be jumping things extraordinarily high, probably poles... I would take lessons until your 4-H class? or show?

Erm, 4-H does have some fairly challenging jumping classes, hunters, jumpers, and EQ, even at the local level. If the OP is entered in a 4-H Hunter Hack class, I wouldn't be overly concerned as long they have a decent seat. There are only 2 fences and they are probably under 2 feet. If the OP is entered in Working Hunters, or any other "course class", I'd be more concerned considering the potentially increased height of the obstacles, the issue of counting and managing strides, etc.

White Foot 03-30-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 589954)
Erm, 4-H does have some fairly challenging jumping classes, hunters, jumpers, and EQ, even at the local level. If the OP is entered in a 4-H Hunter Hack class, I wouldn't be overly concerned as long they have a decent seat. There are only 2 fences and they are probably under 2 feet. If the OP is entered in Working Hunters, or any other "course class", I'd be more concerned considering the potentially increased height of the obstacles, the issue of counting and managing strides, etc.

I volunteered when I was younger for our local 4-h club. I'm not saying the classes aren't challenging but alot of them are made for the youth/beginner riders in mind. The most jumping our riders did was all under 1ft.